Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Share |

Source for particle board laminate shelves

Roughly 7 years ago I bought a cheap particle board/laminate bookcase from Staples. It's holding up fine, but I'd now like to add an additional shelf, and am finding it very difficult to find third-party solutions that come anywhere close to matching the existing shelves:

1) The bookcase has long since been discontinued by the manufacturer (I did call!), so that's a dead end.
2) What I want is a 3/4" thick shelf in black (to be specific, the laminate is flat black and lightly textured...sort of bumpy). After checking with 6 local hardware stores, the only thing I've found is a 5/8" black shelf from Home Depot with a faux woodgrain. I think it looks ugly.
3) Everyone has warned me that getting something custom made will be very expensive.
4) I am not sure that making something myself will result in a better looking shelf. (Can you buy sheets of laminate somewhere? I assume "laminate" is the right term?)

So I am asking for suggestions for on-line suppliers that may have a better selection of pre-manufactured shelves compared to what I can find locally. Can anyone help??

Thanks!

thetao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #2

Bring the shelf to a place that sells laminate and get the closest match you can. Big box stores and lumberyards used to have displays wth 2x3" samples you could take or compare.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #3

I have very recently seen both black and white laminate particle board shelves in a big box store. One option would be to use two 3/8" pieces glued together. You can use one of the many varieties of textured paints to achieve the finish you desire. The paint could also serve to cover the seam. Hope this helps.
PCMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMLR View Post
I have very recently seen both black and white laminate particle board shelves in a big box store. One option would be to use two 3/8" pieces glued together. You can use one of the many varieties of textured paints to achieve the finish you desire. The paint could also serve to cover the seam. Hope this helps.
they have iron on tape for the seams, even better than paint, it gives a factory look to a cut piece
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
they have iron on tape for the seams, even better than paint, it gives a factory look to a cut piece
I have used iron on tape extensively with textiles but was unaware that there is a similar product that can be used on wood products. Is there a particular name for it and where is it found in a hardware/big box store?

I have come up with many non traditional solutions over the years. I use fine saw dust mixed with wood glue and a dab of paint in the desired shade as a filler in many applications. Seems like a lot of work, but it's a cheap solution giving custom results. I've even used regular flour for a smoother finish when desired. It's sandable and dries rock hard.

Another tip for any kind of black furniture, picture frames etc. - a permanent black marker is perfect for small scratches or nicks.
PCMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #6

I suspect your "laminate" is actually melamine. Look up any local closet remodelers and see if they will sell you a single shelf. Your best bet would be a company that manufactures their own product, and not just a parts dealer. Good luck.

chad r is offline   Reply With Quote