Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2008, 03:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sound dampening

So i have this new tenant and her son and their little dog.... all of whom are all really loud. We share a long hallway with a bathroom and kitchen but sounds are transfered from room to room really easily. The biggest problem are sounds from room to hallway however.

I have three main questions:
our areas are both covered in laminant flooring, the door to her room is new and looks to be solid core but im not certain it is. There is a large gap between the floor and the door at the bottom where the dog likes to look under and bark at me when they are out. Is there something i can stick/nail/screw onto the bottom of this door so it covers the hole between the door and the laminant flooring?

in the hallway there is a furnance room that runs on the right all the way down the hall. There are closet like doors with large slits all the way down the hallway as well. This furnace room is connected to another closet with a door on her side of the house with slits as well so sound travels through completly. Would it be worth putting up a small wooden wall inside the furnace room blocking the hole to the closet room and then insulate it to keep out noise? (it looks like there would be enough room to do so) Or is it better just to get new closet doors (might be too pricey for me there are about 6 sets of swinging doors to replace)

The Door to my area is really old and thin will getting a solid core door make a huge difference?

beings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Sound dampening

You can get a "sweep" for the bottom of the door at the local Home Depot or Lowes. Sounds like a wall with insulation would help in the furnace room, as well as a solid door on HER side. The louvered door would need to remain for fresh air for the furnace. (I assume it's gas??) A solid door will also help. You might consider an insulated metal door, complete with threshold. The brick mold on the outside could be replaced with regular casing. Sound transmission is a hard to deal with.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sound dampening

The previous post is correct about the louvered doors. If your furnace (and water heater if it is in there) is gas and is not high efficiency, the louvers provide combustion air for the furnace. Not allowing that room to breathe will deprive the furnace of oxygen, and the combustion process will create more carbon monoxide...And that ain't good (or safe). It will also lessen the efficiency of the unit.

If you frame the wall in the furnace room, leave 30" clearance in front of the furnace for service and removal. That's code.

A door sweep will easily bridge the gap under the door.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Sound dampening

Good point about clearance for the furnace! And I meant the solid door going to your area. That wasn't very clear the way I phrased the other post.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sound dampening

Hard smooth surfaces reflect sound; heavy curtains, thick rugs, sound absorbent foams and foam tiles absorb it.
The trick is to find add-on materials that work, without giving an unpleasant appearance to your place.

A quick Internet search gave me many hits, but most are for commercial materials and scientific papers. Coming up with the right search terms for what you're looking for might not be easy.

Here's one link. They might have free online literature somewhere on the Website for how best to solve your problem.
http://www.baswaphonusa.com/BASWAphon_acoustical_plaster.html

Or, building supply stores may be a good bet.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote