Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

sound barrier Fence

Help......next door..... 2 foot from my yard is large air conditioner compressor for a restaurant

I want to build a fence/sound barrier to knock down the noise....so I can and enjoy my small yard.....

Any ideas on the best materials and methods…….it all about reducing the noise level

Please share
philiplouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #2

sound barrier Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiplouis View Post
. . .a large air conditioner compressor
. . .to build a fence/sound barrier to knock down the noise. . .
There may also be local ordinances against excessive noise, and if you ask, the county may come out with sound level meters and check if this restaurant is violating the rule.

Of course, if the restaurant agrees to putting a sound-absorbing enclosure around the compressor that still allows airflow, that's the best. Better to stop the sound at the source.
I know they use this method to deaden engine noise for large trucks. The "hood" is lined with material to do this.

The AC compressor manus also want to reduce noise from their compressors. They may be able to recommend materials and methods to do this. It'd help if you could get nameplate data from that compressor.

The AC manu may be able to supply the spectrum of the noise put out by their compressor, and this is the first step toward picking materials to deaden or reflect the noise. If all the sound energy is concentrated in a few frequencies the task is easier.

For an example of some of the methods and materials, see if these guys will respond to a request for info on acoustic material for solving this type of problem
http://www.kochllc.com/other/overvie...FQWVFQodzWifqQ

and you might try Googling

acoustic absorb barrier spectrum reflect

Another way may be for you to buy a "white noise generator" that swamps out the noise from the compressor, but this also depends on the noise spectrum from the AC.

The worst outcome would be for you to spend a lot of money/labor and end up with no noticeable difference in the sound level, so I'd spend at least a day or two researching this.

There is also a "human factors" angle to this. If your AC breaks on a hot day, the sound of a neighbor's AC that is still working can sound pretty annoying.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #3

sound barrier Fence

We're dealing with the same problem, but there are several AC-Chiller units on the roof next door. They just tried enclosing the worst with plywood and 1" insulation, but it made NO impact at all. I think there will need to be an 75' long wall of absorbent material. I've googled various acoustical barrier sites, but need to find the best so. Cal source. Suggestions anyone?
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote