Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #1

Share |

some help with stairwell design elements, please

I'm renovating a few rooms.

There were acoustic tiled ceilings, which I replaced with 1/2" drywall.

The opening for the stairs forms some corners. Previously it looked like the upper railing newel posts just dipped below the plaster ceiling by an inch or two. Now that the ceiling is lower ( 3/4" furring strips and the drywall) there will be a piece of trim on the corner to hide the edge of the drywall.

Previously there were simple corner blocks on this ceiling area covering the bottoms of both newels upstairs. I had the idea to turn matching rosettes (matching the door/window casings), at least, and put them on the ceiling.

A carpenter buddy stopped by and thought it was a horrible idea, and I should instead turn some sort of finial to make it look like a continuation of the newel from above.

Here's a few shots:

you can just make out the second newel in the background.

here are the rosettes i turned on my lathe by hand. they are really a pretty damn good match to the originals.

personally i don't think these would look bad at all up there. i could also make the little molding that buts into them match the ogee sort of shape on the door casing.

or, i could turn some sort of cool profile and attach it to these two spots.
my concern is: it's a small hallway and stairwell. there will be a semi flush light fixture overhead to replace the temp work light, and i'm concerned there will be too many things sticking out.

i also wanted to turn a nice finial for the top of the main newel post at the bottom, which is really plain and boring looking.
i think if i did them on the ceiling, to also put it on the post might be overkill.
then again, maybe not.

i guess i could eliminate both ideas and simply miter the molding on that corner and return it to the newel post in the background.

what would you guys do??

thanks for any input.
b

Last edited by wombosi; 01-14-2010 at 01:44 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #2

nice job on the turning and i think they would probably fly

tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #3

I agree that you probably dont want anything protruding too far from the ceiling, and a finial would look like a bedknob sticking out. How about a square piece much like the rosette, just exactly the same dimension as the newel post, cut like an upside down low-profile pyramid. The thought would be to make it look like the bottom of the newel is emerging from the ceiling, and it had been cut to dress it up a bit.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote