Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #1

Share |

Solution for sagging joists

Our ceiling joists were sagging. My wife wanted a cathedral ceiling, but after reading numerous posts on this forum I realized that probably wasn't going to work out.

So we decided to keep a flat ceiling. The contractor was adverse to cutting out the old joists (for fear of the walls splaying out).

But the old joists were sagging as much as an inch, and they were on 24 inch centers.

We ran an LVL the 24' length of the room and jacked up each joist and tied it to the LVL with hurricane clips. After that we screwed 1x4 furring strips on 16" centers across the joists and installed shims as necessary. After we got the joists jacked up and clipped on the room looked like it had a new ceiling. The transformation was dramatic. The LVL cost $300, and the guy who did the calculations on sizing them said he wanted the sale but a truss would probably be cheaper. We went with the LVL anyway for scheduling (they were in stock and we were already there).

The drywall is up now, and it looks good. There's a low spot that we didn't find, but hopefully it won't be too obvious once everything is finished.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #2

Quick question - I have a similar situtation and your solution looks good. If I understand it correctly, the header sits above the joists with the top of the joists butting up to the bottom of the header. Correct?

harsuwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
STAFF

I hope I am not butting in but I have done this several times with good results. I supported the ends of the beam with short pieces of 4X4 oak. I made sure the beam was above the top of the joist by about 1 inch as some joists may be taller than others.

I pulled a string at the beam so I could have a point to align all the joist to. Jack up the joist and secure to the beam by what ever method you wish. (do not use drywall screws as they will shear easier than nails) One more thing, be sure the walls where the 4X4s rest are properly supported all the way to the floor and beyond. I have used this same method to remove load bearing walls also.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 08-30-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Forgot improtant fact
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote