Soffits For Installing Peninsula Cabinets - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Soffits for Installing Peninsula Cabinets

My husband and I are currently planning on building a soffit box so we can hang our peninsula cabinets. On one end, it will be screwed into a 12" partition wall. The other end will be "open faced." We plan on adding bridging to our ceiling joists, so we can secure the soffit box on the topside.

Does anyone have any helpful hints on construction techniques and/or securing methods?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisement

Lollymagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollymagoo
My husband and I are currently planning on building a soffit box so we can hang our peninsula cabinets. On one end, it will be screwed into a 12" partition wall. The other end will be "open faced." We plan on adding bridging to our ceiling joists, so we can secure the soffit box on the topside.

Does anyone have any helpful hints on construction techniques and/or securing methods?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Not something that is done anymore with Kitchens. Soffits went away after the eighties.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well, I'm thinking I'll have to risk having a retro-80's kitchen then. I'm not really sure how else to bring 18" peninsula cabinets within reach for the regular-heighted, non-NBA human. We've staged the cabinets on the ceiling and that just looks ridiculous.
Lollymagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

You may want to rethink, since also nowdays, people want to be able to use Peninsula's as a way to break the Kitchen from the other space, but do not want cabinets in the way to be able to stand and talk to people in the other space. More and more Kitchens are going with the Open plan, as I stated before, no longer are you seeing these types of Kitchen Designs.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Design issues aside, it would help if you posted pictures of the ceiling structure the cabinets will be attached to.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote