Soffit Framing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

soffit framing

I am framing in a basement bathroom, by the door there are two ducts, one a return and the other a heat duct. There is a five inch void between the two ducts and I am placing the outer wall of the bathroom between these two ducts, that is really the only way it can be done. The heat duct measures 6' 11" from the floor which brings in a problem of ceiling height. The bottom of the larger duct is nine inches below the floor joist and I want to keep the ceiling height as high as I can. My plan is to make three frames dropped from the ceiling about 9 1/2 inches below the floor joist and attach the 5/8 drywall directly to the bottom of this soffit framing, this will leave 1/2 inch between the bottom of the duct and the top of the drywall sheet, I may use some plastic sheeting to catch any sweating from the ductwork. Now, my problem is this. The center frame for the soffit will also be the top portion of the wall. My plan is to drywall the soffit then frame a wall from the bottom of the center framing and drywall to the floor, thus the drywall will be securely sandwiched between the upper frame of the soffit and the lower wall. There is no other way to attach the drywall to the wall if I build the wall down from the ceiling. I know I can use 2x4's across the soffit and attach the drywall to these boards but that will lower the ceiling by another 1 1/2 inches and then I will be into my door trim and possibly have to cut the door down shorter. I have roughed in plumbing so there is nowhere else to put the bathroom but by the roughed in and the ductwork of course cannot be moved.

Advertisement

boilermaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

soffit framing

could you build the wall with say a 2x4 post or 2' section of wall going up every 8-10'. this would give it better support

Advertisement

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

soffit framing

I think I understand what you are saying. My main problem is the door. I have managed to raise the ductwork about 3/4" which give a bit more room. As it stands now I will either have to eliminate the upper molding on the door, or cut an inch or maybe a bit more off the bottom of the door and side molding to make it fit in the opening. They placed the rough in plumbing in a bad spot for me. I will revise my line of thought to strengthen up the wall.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

soffit framing

That wall will only be 6'11" long and part of it will be the door. I think that if I increase the cripples in the soffit and securely fasten the lower wall to the upper soffit that the wall should be strong enough not to have any movement. I just cannot think of any other way to do this and securely fasten the drywall along the edges of the ceiling to the soffit.