Small Register Vents Need Source - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Small register vents Need source

I have 6 columns going across my front porch (see avitar), and I am looking for a source to obtain some small ventilation vents for the tops and bottoms of the columns. The columns are hollow, and to prevent further moisture damage, I am looking for some small registers for ventilation. I am looking for 1"-3" diameter, so I can drill a hole on the top, and bottom to insert the registers to vent these things. Any links to sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Bofus

Advertisement

bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Licensed Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

http://www.bestlouver.com/index.php?cPath=1

Advertisement

Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #3

Thank you very much! Just what I was looking for. Do you think that the 1" size would be enough for the ventilation for the columns that are about 22' tall? I was going to put one at the top and bottom, and I wanted do it in a manner that is the least noticable, due to this house being an historical one.

Bofus
Old 07-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Licensed Contractor

One top and bottom should do it; there isn't going to be a lot of air movement to warrant more, I would think.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #5

Thank you for you answer, and BTW, will the mesh screen keep out termites as well?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Licensed Contractor

I assume, but if they want to eat your column, a couple of half-dollar sized vents won't stop them.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

You are trying to put a band-aid on a gaping wound. Go here http://www.garymkatz.com/TrimTechniq...lumn_wrap.html. Incorporate as much of this technique as possible. You MUST stop the water, not try to vent it!
Cajun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #8

Cajun1

I am not trying to install a band-aid to these columns. The house is about 100 years old, and when I bought the house, the columns were literally coming apart at the seams. They are about 22' in height, and are of heart pine. The columns are hallow, and are made of 1" x 12"s, joined at the ends to form the square shape. Over the years, the joints had been coming loose, and who ever had been working on the house had just caulked the gaps that were forming, and painted over it. Well, what I did was to (after removing all the peeling paint) pre-drill all the holes, using polyeurothane glue, deck screws and bar clamps, I put them all back together. I was told by some of the pros here that I should vent them, to prevent condensation to form inside, causing the wood to rot. This is the reason why the vents are to be used.

On another post ( How to remove mildew from wet wood ) I posted about wanting to remove mildew on wood, and what had happened, when I had repaired them about 5 years ago, I used some interior/exterior spackling compound to fill the counter-sunk screw heads. A BIG MISTAKE! a few months later when it got real damp, the spackling compound started to swell, literally popping the spackling out. I had to remove this, and use something different, but it appears I missed one at the base, and this caused some of the wood I had repaired the base with to rot, by letting water get in. Fortunately, I had used 2" X 8"s inside from the base to about 2 1/2 up, for reinforcement. I just have to get the mildew out, then repair the outer cosmetic layer.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I read your other post and saw that the posts go down into the concrete, if you can remedy this it will help your situation. I know you feel you can contain the water around the posts, but all it takes is a very small leak you can't see to start the damage again.

We restore Victorian homes and have replaced lots of exterior details and in some cases, had to rebuild entire sections of well maintained homes, mostly due to water entering where it could not be seen.
Cajun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #10

Yes, I know what you mean about just a small amount of water doing a large amount of damage. Because of the failure of the spackling compound I had missed, and not removed, a lot of water got into the base, and a lot of rot in just 5 years. After I am done with this one, I am going to thoroughly check the other 5 for any problems, to nip it in the bud before there is a complete failure. I have made improvments with other sections of the house that had been causing some problems, and I am hoping that I do not have to completely redo the bases as well.

Advertisement