Sliding Doors - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

sliding doors

Hubby and I are wanting to install a sliding door in the home we just bought. We will be taking a wall out to do so. We are doing it by ourself and could use all the advice we can get.
Firstly should we get a door from Home depot, and if so which one. (we are trying to save money obviously, we already feel nickled and dimed to death by all the expenses of fixing up our home).
Welcome all advice...

Advertisement

tana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

sliding doors

Congratulations on the new home!

My immediate thoughts go to preserving the structural integrity of the wall. Once you choose a door width you can figure out what type of header will be needed to transfer the load to the foundation. Some pictures of the proposed door location would be helpful.

As far as doors go there are so many options a nice conversation witha HD window/door rep will narrow down your choices.

Advertisement

Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #3

sliding doors

sliding doors-p1030200.jpg

The door would go just left of the garage door, right in the center of the house basically. this isnt the greatest pic..sorry..
Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #4

sliding doors

sliding doors-p1030203.jpg

here it is at a closer shot and dif angle.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

sliding doors

Great. It helps.

There's a vent coming out of the home. Can you tell us what it is connected too?
Nucon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

sliding doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tana View Post
Hubby and I are wanting to install a sliding door in the home we just bought. We will be taking a wall out to do so. We are doing it by ourself and could use all the advice we can get.
Firstly should we get a door from Home depot, and if so which one. (we are trying to save money obviously, we already feel nickled and dimed to death by all the expenses of fixing up our home).
Welcome all advice...
Lowes has a 6' slider for around $300. which is pretty nice and comes fully assembled. Before you do this you need to be capable of putting in a new header and frame for the door. Is this a loadbearing wall?
dadflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #7

sliding doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucon View Post
Great. It helps.

There's a vent coming out of the home. Can you tell us what it is connected too?
That is an unused dryer vent.. it will be taken out or moved.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #8

sliding doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadflynn View Post
Lowes has a 6' slider for around $300. which is pretty nice and comes fully assembled. Before you do this you need to be capable of putting in a new header and frame for the door. Is this a loadbearing wall?
As it is the outer wall of the house I would say it is load bearing, hubby plans to brace it. Yes we found a 5 ft wide door at home depot for 299, and for about $200 more a 6ft wide. Surprised at the huge price difference for one extra foot. There is a lowes nearby too. And a menards which doesnt seem to carry patio doors..?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

sliding doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tana View Post
As it is the outer wall of the house I would say it is load bearing, hubby plans to brace it. Yes we found a 5 ft wide door at home depot for 299, and for about $200 more a 6ft wide. Surprised at the huge price difference for one extra foot. There is a lowes nearby too. And a menards which doesnt seem to carry patio doors..?
I wrote my 1st reply before I realized your pictures were there. I agree it's a loadbearing wall, but being it is single story in that location makies it easier. Does your husband have the knowhow and tools for this kind of job? Can I assume the deck is the next project?
Where are you located and how is the weather there. This isn't really a winter job.

Last edited by dadflynn; 12-09-2010 at 08:32 PM.
dadflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #10

sliding doors

Were in Nebraska.. it'll be done in the spring hopefully and yes a deck too! If we can afford it all. Thanks for you guys help w/ this..
Old 12-28-2010, 04:15 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

sliding doors

wow, that is quite the post at the corner there....

Just be aware of your local building code for header/framing requirements for the size of door you are installing...as well as proper opening prep-blueskin, wrapping the opening, caulking at bottom, etc.

Advertisement

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote