Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
DIYer

Share |

Sliding Closet Door Hardware suggestions

Hi,

I want to build a set of sliding closet doors from standard interior six-panel doors, kind of like what you see here:

http://www.johnsonhardware.com/image...s/111sd400.jpg

Can anyone suggest from experience a good set of sliding door hardware that will last, operate smoothly, can handle the weight of solid wood slab doors, and where the doors won't jump out of their track every time we slide them? My experience with sliders has been bad - they jump out of their tracks - but I'm sure there's good hardware out there that I can use. Anybody have any suggestions? Is the Johnson Hardware in that picture worthwhile?

Thanks!

jpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
the Musigician

yes, yes and YES! in that order..... -=chuckle=- i highly recommend Johnson hardware. NEVER had a problem with them.
precise, easy to follow install instructions and a well laid out website with videos is a plus too, (though i never needed the videos.)
i use them and will continue to do so for my pocket doors/closets i'm putting in most everywhere here.
(and no, unfortunately, they don't pay me.... just my own experience.)

DM

Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
the Musigician

they DO have two different grade rollers though, i use the better. although i'm sure their lesser is still ok.
sorry, forgot to mention that.

DM
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
DIYer

Thanks for the replies. Can I infer from your reply that you've used their hardware on solid slab doors and it handles the weight well?

To anyone else that's used sliding hardware, I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences - good or bad.

Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
the Musigician

they will do their job for the weight they are rated for, sure. be sure to get the right one!

DM
Old 02-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Kestrel Shutters & Doors

We only sell Johnson track hardware with our solid wood doors and we have never had any problem. We typically sell the 138F and 134F for 2 tracks or the 111MD, 100MD and 200MD for multiple single tracks. All of these have the wheels encased in a box track with a latch for quick release if you ever do want to take the doors down. Since they are in a box track there is no concern about them jumping the track.

The 138F and 134F will handle doors up to 125 lbs each. The 111MD is rated for 150 lbs, the 100MD for 200 lb doors and the 200MD for 300 lb doors.

The only down side of the Johnson hardware lines are that their standard knobs and pulls are cheap plastic or really thin stamped metal. Most people we find end up spending a few dollars at a local store to get nicer knobs and pulls. All of the rest of the hardware is very well made.

I hope this helps,

Jim
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
the Musigician

i got a big box of locks, pull knobs, etc. at auction for pocket doors, so i never had need to use theirs. i'm disappointed to hear they are not up to their track standards. perhaps they sub out to china for that stuff? bummer. they should have a rep come here and see reactions to their products, both good and bad comments. but what they make HERE is excellent quality, and i'm with you in NEVER a bit of a problem with the track installs or use down the line. and i love the quick release too.

DM
Old 02-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
DIYer

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I know what hardware I'll be buying. I actually didn't even expect them to come with pulls. My plan was to run over to Rockler and find some nice brushed nickle inset pulls the same diameter as one of my forstner bits.