Skirtboard Width For Steps - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

skirtboard width for steps

I have existing steps that were carpet before with not skirt board on them... I am trying to make them look nice with skirt boards, hardwood treads and all that nice stuff...

I just don't know what width the skirt board should be... I've seen from 10" to 12" but not sure what fits

right now our treads are minimum code at 9" deep (with no overhang)... with the new replacement risers it will add an additional 1 1/4" to the depth so we'd have at least a 10 1/4" tread

the rise is about 7 1/2" I think? haven't measured for a while...

any tips for making these? any guides out there or ideas on where to start with the width being the first step for me to figure out...

thanks!

Advertisement

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

If you do not have a router, easier to contact a local mill shop and have them make up te skirts.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

I have a router and about every bit I could possibly need, table saw, miter saw, jig saw. think that takes the list of tools I could need for this
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Time and the wood you would like to use is the only thing left. Suggest using cheap Pine 1x8 or 1x12 for test patterns.

There is a app for the iPad that you plug in the numbers and it will create a CAD drawing for you. There is also online sites for computers you cand do it with.

Check with Shumakerscott's thread on his German House rebuild. I cannot remember off hand regarding his stair build how he did a skirt or if he did.

I know that he is in Italy right now, so if you send him a message, give him time to respond.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,806

I think Greg is thinking of an enclosed stair stringer/skirt, I could be wrong though. If you are just adding a skirt board to what is there now and installing the treads after the skirt you might want to add cleats to the side of the stringers as the treads won't have much for the treads to sit on especially if they didn't have a spacer between the wall and stringer, or if they sheet rocked after the stringers were installed.

Check out this link of how this fellow cut his skirt board.
Stairway skirt board template - easy

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

older homes its common to see 1x10 skirtboards. with newer homes most stair guys are using 1x12 because of how often taller baseboard trim is being installed. it makes for a cleaner look by having the skirtboard end on the floor higher off the floor than the baseboard is. it creates a reveal
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
BigJim (06-26-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #7

yeah this is a retrofit
Old 06-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

Make sure adding new treads will not mess up your rise at the top and bottom steps. That link from Jim is quite useful. I've never had to do skirts after the fact but if I did that's the way to go.

Advertisement

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote