Sistering Or Shimming Wall Studs For Drywall? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sistering or shimming wall studs for drywall?

I have an older craftsman style bungalow that I am slowly working on, at which point I'm completely remodeling a small kitchen. At this point I ripped out all plaster and lath, which I didn't want to do but had to due to electrical updates, plaster problems etc. and just have exposed wall studs.

Long story short, the studs are in what I would consider good condition; solid, no rot, and seemingly level enough for drywall but there is a little variation (around 3/16" or less)

So should I shim or sister every stud in order to make sure there aren't any problems with the drywall?
How much variation, if any is acceptable in the studs before drywall installation?

Thanks a lot for any info.

Advertisement

GSilversVeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sistering or shimming wall studs for drywall?

You can drywall a wall with bent studs, studs that don't line up, etc. But the question is, what can you live with? Countertops, shelves, lighting and even pieces of furniture can make variances in the wall show up like crazy. You can add furring strips, cardboard drywall shim strips (sold in big packs at the box stores in the drywall section) or even new studs as necessary. My advice would be to string a couple horizontal stringlines along the walls and see where you need to add material, and do a good job so you have a good finished product.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-28-2010), oh'mike (11-28-2010)