Single Car Garage Work Bench - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Ron Paul 2012

Rewards Points: 75

Single Car Garage Work Bench

I am looking into building a humble work bench in my one car garage, but I am a little short on knowledge of quality of wood to use and design of the table. I have purchase a couple books off of amazon that has different build plans, but nothing that has really fit into what I am looking for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again, guys!

Advertisement

HandymanCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

Just reguler 2 X 4's and a top made of Advantec subfloor will be strong, water and oil resistant.
Use ceramic coated decking screws for added strength.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

You should be able to purchase metal workbench legs. I bought a set years ago (Sears?) and found an old wooden door for the benchtop. Solid and stable. Screw the legs on and connect it to the wall with some angle irons.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

there are several ways to build a work bench. you can do it so it can be moved around as you need space or so its built right into the wall

heres a couple photos of my bench in the shed i built myself a few years ago
Attached Thumbnails
Single Car Garage Work Bench-dec9.jpg   Single Car Garage Work Bench-dec5.jpg   Single Car Garage Work Bench-dec7.jpg  
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
Ron Paul 2012

That's a beauty! Really appreciate the information everyone.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

This is the bench I built about a couple years ago. Top is a solid core door from a demo job I did. The shelf in the middle is removable and the bottom plywood in both sections are on hinges and flip up( that's where I keep all my drywall tape and various flat items.
Attached Images

Chevy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Ron Paul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy85 View Post
This is the bench I built about a couple years ago. Top is a solid core door from a demo job I did. The shelf in the middle is removable and the bottom plywood in both sections are on hinges and flip up( that's where I keep all my drywall tape and various flat items.
I really like the look of the shelving.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Is your bench going to be movable? or are you going to build it onto a wall?

Easiest quickest way to build a work bench.

Run a 2x4 ledger however long you want your bench -3 inchs , screwed right to your studs at the height you want minus the thickness of your plywood.

Cut plywood to exact desired workbench dimensions for the top. Screw the plywood to a seperate 2x4 cut same length of your plywood.(This will be the front) Attach 2 2x4 cut for the depth flush with the plywood, screwed through the front and screwed through the plywood.

Hold a level out from the ledger and measure up from the floor(Most floors arn't level, each leg needs its own measurement) this will give you exact height of your legs, cut 2x4 legs accordingly.

Rest your shelf on your ledger (The two 2x4's for depth should slip around your ledger , place your legs under it, double check your level and screw it all together.

1.5 or 2 inch screws for the top. 3.5 inch screws for the framing. I like green epoxy coated deck screws. Worst case scenario, you had fun, you unscrew it all in 10 minutes, take your experience and decide what to do differently.
conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
EIT/DIY'er

I've always liked my dad's design for his garage. He just screwed a ledger into the studs, and attached a solid core door with hinges. All you need to do is lift the door up, and put a 2x4 under each corner. The legs are held in place with a piece of round bar doweled into the door and the leg.

Between the weight of the door (and vice mounted to it) and the fact that the ledger prevents the door from lifting up much more than parallel to the floor, it is a darn solid bench for something the folds down enough that he can easily pull a car in next to it. You can reef on the vice all day without lifting the bench more than a hair.
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Ron Paul 2012

I really like the attachment idea to the studs, but I am looking for a more mobile table that I would be able to take with me when I eventually purchase my own house.

You guy's gave me some great ideas and I am looking at having the table legs as 4x4 with wheels. Then at the end of the table I am planning on having a drop down that would be the height difference of my table saw, so the table saw to the work table is flush. I am going to try to recreate some of the cabinet ideas below that were shown by some of the other guys.

Advertisement