Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Simple Bench Idea - Question about securing it to concrete

So I've got several ideas on simple bench ideas - I need to build two for my laundromat as one of our benches is trashed and I need to add another.

I'm thinking something super simple with 4x4's for feet, with a plywood top as we'll be putting a seat cushion on it as well. Think something like this: http://designbuildlove.co/eric-built-workbench/ but without the second shelf (and much smaller to scale as well).

My question revolves around the best way to secure the benches to the floor. a 4x4 would need *something* in order for me to concrete anchor it to the floor - either L brackets or another piece of wood for a proper flat foot that can be bolted to the ground. Either way there is an inherent weak spot where through blunt force the anchor can be compromised rather simply.

Any ideas on how I can secure a simple bench to the floor without having these inherent weaknesses?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

ssgtjoenunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 108

Lots of different ways to do it without the legs.
Legs are just going to get in the way when cleaning the floor.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ench&FORM=IGRE

Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #3

The only problem with a wall-mounted option is that I am putting one of the benches in the middle of an open area (our 'kids area'), and the other in front of a glass window - both where wall mounting isn't an option.

EDIT: Also its important to note that anchoring them to the floor in this case is a necessary evil...for both practical reasons and security reasons.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #4

Got the benches built and installed over the weekend. I used u-shaped metal brackets that I anchored to the floor using tapcons. I then adhered the brackets to the legs of the benches using deck screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Simple Bench Idea - Question about securing it to concrete-image-769696799.jpg   Simple Bench Idea - Question about securing it to concrete-image-506636396.jpg