DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Siding fitting&angles

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dyn'R 
#1 ·
Is there an easier way to throw up siding when getting into the roof pitches? I am quite the newbie in the carpentry arena,and getting pic#1 took me a whole afternoon of trying this'n'that to get a somewhat finished look.
Pic#2 helps appreciated!..as my knees are wearing out climbing up/down blasted ladder! :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There are several methods. One easy way for a newbi is to take a piece of scrap vinyl (about 6" long) and attach it over the lower (previously installed piece). Slide that section over and into the corner of the angle. Measure over from the veritical straight area - over to - the top of your 6" scrap, where it intersects the roof line . That should give you your upper measurement. Measure the lower (bottom of the next section of vinyl)...then connect the dots, and cut.

Another method is to take an adjustable T-bevel or other adjustable angle tool and get your consistant angle of the roof line. Then, all you have to do is take the full measurement and use the pre-adjusted angle tool to draw your line up to match the roof's pitch line. It should be a consistant pitch/angle all the way up...

#3 ·
I keep a 8" tri-square in my pants pocket when putting up double 4 siding. Right triangles are easy. All you need to know are 2 sides. When there's a triangle like that I'll just put the 8" square on the bottom of the interlock of the siding that is already installed (kind of like the next piece of siding will be hooking on) and slide it toward the right side of the triangle until the top edge of the square hits the j-channel. Then make a pencil mark on the interlock near the bottom of the square. 8" is the height of your right triangle. Measure from the point of the angle over to your pencil line to find out the length of your right triangle. The hypotenuse is simply connecting those 2 points.

I often will freehand those sharply angled pieces on a tablesaw, using an abrasive steel or masonry blade. Cuts vinyl nicely. If you make a nice cut, the scrap piece can be a template for the rest of your angles, provided the pitch remains the same. Just lay the template on your next piece of siding to mark your next duplicate angle.

#4 ·
I really appreciate you two for laying down your insightful text!!

Being the newbie i am,i cannot for the life of me visualize those crafted techniques you masters latch onto so quickly. Tommorrow i'll post my..'er.. tools/finished job i came up with for fighting this pitch stuff.
Thanks again! !

#5 ·
Just recently was residing my house. I've spent a little time making a template out of thick cardboard, cut to exact angle of my roof pitch. I shoot the tape under the locking tab of a previously installed row till it hits the inside of the J-channel, measure to wherever I need it, subtract the 'expansion room'. That's the long side, template does the rest. I pencil the cut along the template, then freehand it with a circular saw, using a reversed plywood blade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.