Should I Replace Cabinets? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 276
Question

Should I replace cabinets?

I have an early 60's house with real pine cabinets in the kitchen. They are in reasonably good shape although they have been painted a few times. I am planning ahead to my next project and wonder if it is more or less of a hassle to replace the cabinets or to strip the paint (probably with a heat gun) and then properly re-finish (lacquer or paint) them. I am basically looking at the hassle vs. cost factor. I would not be able to buy genuine wood cabinets if I replaced them but would more than likely buy veneer cabinets.

Advertisement

tripower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

If you like the cabinets, absolutely worth stripping them if that's the look you want.

Slather ZipStrip all over them with a disposable brush, WALK AWAY for 30 minutes, rub off with steel wool. Repeat a few times until all gone. Might take you one full day to get them all nice and clean. You might find out that they've been painted for a reason, though.

Good wood cabinets, as I'm sure you knonw, cost much more than any of us likely earn in a day.

GOod luck.

Advertisement

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Repairing VS replacing: the age old debate. It really depends on if you like the current layout, does it serve your needs. There are all sorts of add on conveniences to upgrade the storage capacity of older cabinets, like better drawer slides, rollout shelving , etc. But new cabinets might give you are better working arrangement. New cabinets of similar quality will, however, be quite expensive.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 276
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Repairing VS replacing: the age old debate. It really depends on if you like the current layout, does it serve your needs. There are all sorts of add on conveniences to upgrade the storage capacity of older cabinets, like better drawer slides, rollout shelving , etc. But new cabinets might give you are better working arrangement. New cabinets of similar quality will, however, be quite expensive.

The current layout does indeed serve my needs and in fact given the size of my kitchen, if I bought new cabinets they would probably be laid out the exact same way. But if I refinish the cabinets I would want to color them similar to what i have but far more professional looking. What kind of paint/lacquer can I use and what re-finishing techiques are there to give it that professional look?
tripower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Spraying gives a factory looking finish, but is messy in the confines of the kitchen. Some people perfer to see brush strokes on the doors, gives it that rustic look. If you are stripping the cabinets and starting fresh, oil based finishes give the smoothest finish. Likewise if you are painting over the old. But make sure you thoroughly clean the surfaces and rough them up with sandpaper.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote