Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #1

Share |

Should I rehang my door?

Hi,

I bought and installed a prehung door last weekend, and am pretty satisfied witht the job, except that I kinda find the gap between the lock side of the door and door frame a little large when I compare to another door. Please take a look at the pictures attached. Im wondering whether I should take it out, and reinstall it. Id get help this time, as last time I was alone.

lock area

top right corner, lock side

Top left corner, hinge side. This side seems fine.

So the main issue seems to be the lock side of the door. Door operates very well though, but I figure that if it needs to be re-done, Id rather get it over with right away before I install my flashing outside, and a screen door.

Thanks for your time.

James

sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #2

Should I rehang my door?

Well? It's not perfect. However I doubt that it will get better over time, could get worse. Should be plumb and square. Check the threshold, make sure it's level, and then start on the hinge side.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #3

Should I rehang my door?

Yep, I would start over. Way too tight at the top, to much gap on the side. Thershold MUST be dead on level, then shim hinge side for plumb. The rest should fall into place. If the latch side jamb bows, shim as needed for flat, even gap. But I don't see the jamb in the pics, only the house framing, not sure what I am looking at??????
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
General Contractor

Should I rehang my door?

Should be 1/8" top, 1/8" strike side, 1/16" hinge side. All gaps should be uniform.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #5

Should I rehang my door?

Thanks for all the responses. Didnt think Id get so many over night. what do you guys mean by..."Thershold MUST be dead on level,"...I guess Ill reinstall. Here are some more pics with the frame removed....

Here is the base of the door. Should I build something to lay the door or, or simply lay on this. Its currently laying on this, ie I didnt build anything, simply insulated with spray foam...Its eemed pretty level, and the door step or sill I think its called seems very level when I check with an actual 2 ft level.

Here are the 'jamb's that i screwed into. I think Ill rebuild and add some support to the right had side jamb( from the inside or the locks side) so I have more support when I screw the frame to the jamb. I think the lack of support caused my frame to have the uneven gap...(ie the black part between the jamb and the white wood. The black stuff is like a house wrap, and the white wood is an inside trim piece.)

Heres the hinge side. Lots of support here...

Thanks for all your help, any feedback is greatly appreciated. I will get help this time. I figured I could do it alone, but I guess not. I wont be as 'stubburn' this time, and will ask for help from an experineced friend.

Have a good one guys!!

James

Last edited by sbmfj; 10-03-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #6

Should I rehang my door?

It should be level and flat across the hardwood floor. I assume the new door has a built in threshold attached to the frame. Make sure it's level when the door and frame is installed as JustBill advised. Makes the job go much easier.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
Remodeler

Should I rehang my door?

Its eemed pretty level!
Level is level. Pretty level is not. Make sure the threshold is perfectly level. If you need to shim it do so. The hinge side and strike site should have roughly equal spacing and must be shimmed behind each screw. On the strike side shim just above the catch and screw it there. The two more equally spaced up and down. Same on the hinge side. Be sure the screws or nails go through the shimsand into the house framing or you will pull the frame in.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #8

Should I rehang my door?

thanks for all the help. I assume by threshold, youre referring to the aluminum part at the bottom of the door, ie the part you step on?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
Household Handyman

Should I rehang my door?

sbmfj- -Don't feel so bad. I just hung a new door on my daughters rental property and the lock side looks the same way. This is not the first door I have ever hung either. I tweaked this door with every trick I have been taught and there is still a consistent, oversized gap on the lockset side. All other gaps are really nice and the door operates well also. This was a $500+ door also. We went back to the HD store to look at other doors and they were the same way. The millworks expert at the store gave some BS answer as to the door needing this gap on the lockset side in order to close properly. Being as this door was installed in Alaska, we had to place additional foam insulation on the door edge to prevent drafts from entering. No quality anymore IMO, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote