Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 296

Should I attempt to bring back my blade?

I have a 60's DeWalt Radial Arm Saw that takes a 10" blade, after years of using a Freud blade, hitting the occasional nail, it never lost a tooth or blew apart but ripping got tough (it had 60 teeth and was dull).

I went to Sears to get a new blade (40 teeth) and they only had DeWalt. I put it on and went to rip a piece of 3/4" pine to 1/2" thick and I couldn't lower the anti-kick device enough as my guide was getting in the way. As I was ripping, sure enough the blade grabbed the wood and the carbide teeth ripped off and embedded themselves around the area.

I told that to my Dad (he's a carpenter) and he says there is no excuse for the teeth to have flown off, in all his years of carpentry he has never seen teeth fly off let alone on a just a 3/4" piece of pine. The blade is defective and I should bring it back. However, maybe it was my fault since I couldn't get the anti-kick low enough had I been able to, they would've prevented the blade from grabbing the wood.

Do you think it negligence on my part since the situation I put myself in I wasn't able to use the anti-kick device so the blade wouldn't have grabbed the wood, or is my father right there is no excuse for the blades carbide teeth to go flying and the blade defective? Thank you

*EDIT* I will say, after seeing how deeply the carbide teeth embedded into the table and surrounding areas there is NO WAY I'm using a saw without safety glasses...

Last edited by Piedmont; 09-09-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I would bring the blade back to Sears and ask for a replacement as the blade was surely defective. Your dad is right, I have never in my life seen carbide teeth been ripped off a blade before. And I have cut some really bad and tuff stuff.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 586

Take it back, get a refund and buy another Freud.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
I would bring the blade back to Sears and ask for a replacement as the blade was surely defective. Your dad is right, I have never in my life seen carbide teeth been ripped off a blade before. And I have cut some really bad and tuff stuff.
+1. Your attitiude is commendable, but I have burned my way through some nasty stuff, and have never had this happen.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,124

For sure return the blade, but allow me to point out that what you were doing was not classical ripping of wood, rather you were doing the equivalent of bandsawing half an inch off a board. I have done this in the past on several occasions, and it is about the scariest thing I have ever done on a table saw. Mostly because the blade is up very high, the board is thin, it is difficult or impossible to use a saw blade cover (I never use one anyone, but that is a personal decision, not recommended practice), and it is very easy to jam the blade and kick the wood back violently. This is especially true if you actually bought either a crosscut blade or a combination blade.

All that said, I have never heard of the carbide teeth coming off a saw blade. If you hit a nail they can chip, but from your description the teeth themselves came off, suggesting a catastrophic failure of the bond between the carbide and the metal. You are lucky you didn't lose an eye (good reason to wear eye protection) or get a severe cut.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Piedmont (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
All that said, I have never heard of the carbide teeth coming off a saw blade. If you hit a nail they can chip, but from your description the teeth themselves came off, suggesting a catastrophic failure of the bond between the carbide and the metal. You are lucky you didn't lose an eye (good reason to wear eye protection) or get a severe cut.
You sound like my Dad, he was pretty upset. Judging by how deep the teeth embedded into my table top and surrounding area (about 3/8" deep in plywood) I can only imagine what would've happened if it were my skin or bare eyeball. I'm glad it happened using a radial arm saw, I think it would've been even more dangerous on a table-saw.

It wasn't as bad as trying to rip the tall way, rather I had a 3/4" thick piece of pine I tried to cut a 1/2" wide piece off of as I needed a 3/4" x 1/2" shim. I'm thinking a whole lot of how I'd do things differently next time (make a shorter guide that doesn't interfere with the anti-kick device) and thanks to you I learned they make blades specifically for ripping (I don't know why my Dad didn't mention it). I am sure as heck going to get the Freud ripping blade, especially since changing blades on a radial arm saw is so easy (so is changing out the guide).

Last edited by Piedmont; 09-09-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote