Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #1

Share |

Should I Ancor Building

hello,

about two yrs ago, i had a shed built. it is approx 9'x12'x12'h. i noticed awhile after it was built(all lumber) that they used masonary nails, 2-1/2" to ancor the building to the concrete slab. is this ok? should it be lagged down , with atleast 3/8" lag bolts? it did however survive 55-60 gusts of wind...bob
bobo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Should I Ancor Building

Bob,
I bought an 8'X16' building this year and just had it set and leveled about 8" up on cinderblocks. I live on the waterfront of Albemarle Sound (31 years now) about 60 miles inland from the northern NC Outer Banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, etc.).
Been through numerous nor'easter's (literally scores) and 11 hurricanes (mostly brushes and one direct hit) in those 31 years.
I didn't anchor my building and with the weight of the building and all of the tools, equipment, pieces/parts, etc., etc. in it, I can't imagine it going anywhere except by a major, major storm.
I chose not to "anchor" it. If a hurricane came along that was powerful enough to move it, believe me, ground "anchors" are not going to prevent it. But do what makes you feel good.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 01-06-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Neanderthal Woodworker

Should I Ancor Building

if you're referring to ramset or hilti type powder activated fasteners, or nails, then that's what they're designed for......many homes around here ( CenTex ) only have the plates "shot" down.......'course if you're in cali....then you need lags down to bedrock, hurricane ties, diagonal wind bracing, strapping, etc..........
woodman51jfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #4

Should I Ancor Building

woodman,

this building was ancored with 2 1/2" masonary nails, by hand, not shot in. it just seems to me like its alittle skimpy. but like i said, it handled 55mph winds. and the roof over hangs the front of the building about 3ft, and the wind didnt catch it. but i would feel better with a few good lags in it. i was just wondering if this was the norm.....bob
Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Neanderthal Woodworker

Should I Ancor Building

it is, and if they are going through a 2X plate will keep it from shifting, but if it eases your mind.....just drill a few holes right through the plate into the slab & install some expansion anchors.........they drive in then tighten and expand with a nut & washer from above
woodman51jfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
ICF Construction

Should I Ancor Building

Well, as woodman said if in Cali...I'm in Cali...personally, I would anchor it down...with 1/2"x7" Titan HD's
Old 01-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #7

Should I Ancor Building

well, the concrete slab looks to be about 8" thick, so im thinking about putting in 4, 1/2"x4" lags along each side. should be ok...bob
Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #8

Should I Ancor Building

I would not bother.
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote