Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #1

Share |

Shelving

Finishing a basement and want to build some cubbies and bookshelves in the main area and some shelves/bookshelves in the bedroom. Want something that is easy to paint and not too expensive. Any thoughts?

joshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

Shelving

Bookshelves for the bedroom? Just go to Ikea. If you aren't trying to create your own particular look and you just want basic cost-effective bookshelves then those will do ya just fine and be cheaper than anything you can build yourself.

For the basics, Home Depot carries melamine and it's either white or fake wood finished... that's pretty cheap and easy to build something out of if you're just going for square cubbies. Or you can go to the other extreme and do hardwood plywood and oak trim, stained, finished built-ins... but those take some cabinet-making practice. Fun to do if that's your hobby.

If it's not, then I'd walk thru Ikea and see what you can be done with in a day...

Or, provide some more details if you have a look you're going for... start with houzz.com for pics and inspiration.

SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Shelving

Years ago I bought some particle board cubes and finished them to look nice. They were a standard size and you could get single drawers (I put pendaflex file frames in them), double drawers in them. Or leave them open for shelf or cubby units. I had long drawer units that went over two of them. I built a "credenza" like arrangement for my studio with them. For some reason I want to remember I got them from a JCPenney catalog (unfinished) but it was 30 some years ago so I would not trust my memory!)

I've even seen similar systems with inserts and places like Bed Bath & Beyond but did not pursue what they were made of. They were finished black as I remember.

IKEA and other RTA (ready to assemble/flat pack) suppliers (tons of them online that ship cheap/free) sell similar systems or others you might like better for either stacking on the floor or hanging on the wall. Some are real wood. Finished particle board, MDF, etc. and adults get along pretty well but kids can be rather hard on the stuff.

You could also build your own easy enough I guess with a pocket screw system and some plywood. The RTA stuff comes pre-drilled with all the fasteners. Instructions are actually in English most of the time now too!

It sort of depends on how much weight you need the things to hold and what kind of things you plan to put in them. And of course, what you want them made of and how you want them finished.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #4

Shelving

Hi there, trying to stay as cheap as possible. For the shelving I was thinking of getting a 4x8 sheet of particle board, cutting it into four 1x8 pieces and painting and there's shelves. Any problems with that?

Bookshelves is a little misleading. I'm looking for simple shelves to put on a wall and I will be placing books on them. Not a premade square box bookshelf.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

Shelving

Will probably be painting the same white we paint the doors and trim
Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Shelving

Search for cube storage systems and see if something like it would work. Either stacked on the floor or mounted to the wall. I just peeked at BB&Beyond showed all the available inserts if you want ideas for making your own. Target came up too. I didn't look further for real wood ones.

I actually think, if you are alright with particle board, you are better off buying the factory pre-assembled components. It is hard to beat the price.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #7

Shelving

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs View Post
Hi there, trying to stay as cheap as possible. For the shelving I was thinking of getting a 4x8 sheet of particle board, cutting it into four 1x8 pieces and painting and there's shelves. Any problems with that?

Bookshelves is a little misleading. I'm looking for simple shelves to put on a wall and I will be placing books on them. Not a premade square box bookshelf.

Thanks!
A little on the unfinished side for a finished space... I'd say appropriate for an utility room or a closet but for open living space I'd get at least melamine. But your call -- of course it'll work fine. You'll pay more for the shelf brackets than you will for the wood in this case. You'll need quite a few of them, probly 4 across each 8' board. I'd get rails for the wall, then you can mount those once and move the shelves as needed later, but again if cost is your goal then you're probly looking at the $1.67 shelf bracket (x16 is $27, plus $12 for the board. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #8

Shelving

Quick look on my phone is popping up over $100 just for cubbies. I did find shelves at home depot that are melamine. Part of the problem is the cubbies I need 8 feet across, same with shelves above. Have to look some more at what's out there