Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shelf Standards

I am installing shelving in what is to be a pantry. This will be adjustable shelving, so I will be using some sort of shelving standard for the shelves. My problem is in regard to mounting the brackets. The back wall of the pantry is dry-wall and I have access to studs. However, whether I use the side walls, or the front edge of the pantry, I only have access to 3/4" cabinet-grade plywood. How do I mount the brackets and make it strong enough for the shelving. These shelves should be able to support approximately 100 lbs. Of course I do want to see any mounting hardware from the outside.

I appreciate any and all suggestions and thank you ahead of time for your assistance.
Attached Images

hwrd69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Shelf Standards

Use readily available standards that are slotted and take the clips shaped like little letter v's. Run them all the way to the floor of the cabinet and nail them directly to the 3/4" sides with the nails provided. They are a little channel shaped standard, 5/8' wide by about 3/16" thick, readily had at Lowes/HD/most hardware stores, and usually choice of white, gold, silver, and sometimes dark brown color.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:39 AM   #3

Shelf Standards

troubleseeker,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my question wasn't clear. I know about the standards I want to use the type such as the ones you suggested, it is just that the manufacturers I have looked at (K&V, etc) have suggested using their enclosed hardware (2" screws) to mount to the wall/studs. However, my problem is on the sides where I do not have access to 2x4 studs. I am concerned about the ability of mounting the standards to the 3/4" sides to be strong enough.

Will I be OK mounting with just wood screws into the 3/4" wood sides? Will that combination along with the length of the standards be enough to support my shelving? Or, do I need to add some sort of support that will make the standards stronger/more supported?

Thanks to all responses.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shelf Standards

Quote:
Will I be OK mounting with just wood screws into the 3/4" wood sides? Will that combination along with the length of the standards be enough to support my shelving?
Ayuh,......... You should be Fine with that.......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Home Renovations GC

Rewards Points: 75

Shelf Standards

troubleseeker suggested running the standards top the floor. a lot of your weight will then be transferred to the floor area instead of the wall. Nails supplied or screws would be suficient but if you're worried beyond that then look for a suitable wall anchor at eother Lowes or HD, they're cheap enough.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Shelf Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwrd69 View Post
troubleseeker,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my question wasn't clear. I know about the standards I want to use the type such as the ones you suggested, it is just that the manufacturers I have looked at (K&V, etc) have suggested using their enclosed hardware (2" screws) to mount to the wall/studs. However, my problem is on the sides where I do not have access to 2x4 studs. I am concerned about the ability of mounting the standards to the 3/4" sides to be strong enough.

Will I be OK mounting with just wood screws into the 3/4" wood sides? Will that combination along with the length of the standards be enough to support my shelving? Or, do I need to add some sort of support that will make the standards stronger/more supported?

Thanks to all responses.
We must be thinking different standards, because the one's I am talking about come with little packs of 5/8' long nails. They are the little strips that you often see used in book case construction, and support the shelves on the ends, not the ones that mount to the rear wall and have the long brackets sticking out.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #7

Shelf Standards

Yes, we are talking about different ones. The ones I am planning on using are constructed similarly, but are double-slotted to use heavy-duty twin slot brackets (stronger).

The ones that I have looked at come with 2" long screws. I do believe that, as was mentioned earlier, that physics (forces will be going straight down through the front bracket) and possibly a small brace at the top will be more than a enough to "hold things together".

What I did forget to mention earlier is my concern is due to the fact that these shelves will be sliding shelves so that once pulled out, all of the weight will be transfered to the front brackets.

Thanks for all your responses.

Attached Images