Shed Help!!! - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shed Help!!!

I recently purchased a house with a shed. The shed has a hole in it on the side that is right next to the fence( so i only have about a foot of working room) The hole appears to have been caused by a combination of falling branches and rot. Any suggestions on how best to repair the hole? The rest of the side also appears to have significant water damage along the bottom.

Thanks,

Avi
Attached Thumbnails
Shed Help!!!-img_0551.jpg   Shed Help!!!-img_0550.jpg   Shed Help!!!-img_0543.jpg  

Advertisement

duffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

Shed Help!!!

Short of taking off the offending sheet that's damaged ,the only option seems to be to try and cut off the bottom section in a straight line from front to back and replace with pressure treated plywood.( check the thickness of the present sheathing)There should be a piece of Z-flashing installed between the old and the new to waterproof it.
It won't be easy in that space.If the structure was strong enough,I'd get some help and flip it on it's side to repair it.

It really looks like the shed is too close to the ground and should probably be lifted onto cement blocks.The rot may have been caused by an accumulation of leaves son try and keep it cleared.

Advertisement

oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Licensed Builder

Shed Help!!!

What is that floor?
I would either more the fence or more the shed to get more working room.
I agree with Oldfrt. Cut a straight line. Install 2X4 blocking between your studs so it is half on what you kept and will leave half of it to nail your patch on. I would suggest doing the whole side of the shed and replace it with treated plywood. A Z flashing is important to use.
If that shed isn't nailed down to a concrete pad then moving the shed should be easy. Lever it up, Block it. Lever it up some more then stick a 2X6 or piece of 3/4" plywood under the shed and some kind of rollers under that. Two rollers would be enough. If the floor joists run side to side then I would use a half sheet of 3/4" plywood to span at least two joists.
Or forget all that and just use rollers that are long enough to make contact with a couple joists. I moved one shed that is built heavier than that one with three pieces of four inch sch.40 PVC drain pipe.

The shed over my well pit was setting too low to the dirt so I lifted that one about 18" straight up. Then I laid another course of concrete blocks around the well pit and set the shed down on it with a sill plate of treated 2X8 and sill-seal. It was easy to lift the shed. Lever, block, lever, block, lever, block,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Keep going around until it is all up where you want it.
I needed the 18" for the new blocks and the heavy beams I put under the shed to hold it up out of the way.
Rustaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #4

Shed Help!!!

The floor is wood. Thanks for both of your suggestions!! I think most of the damage was caused by leaves and branches but i will check to see..
duffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
Licensed Builder

Shed Help!!!

You really do need to get that wood up off the ground then.
Rustaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shed Help!!!

From the picture it looks like you have enough room to remove and replace the entire side. I agree with the raising it off the ground, but who knows the shape of the bottom framing members. You could bolt a 2x4 across the front and jack it up off the ground enough to determine it's shape. Then either lay it back down on cinder blocks if it's salvageable or just lay it down if it's not. It might last a year or so.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Shed Help!!!

Unhook the chain link from the poles to give you room to work and replace the plywood and prime and paint it this time.

It is a really good idea to raise that shed up at least 6 inches off the ground. While you are at it, move it over a couple of feet so it is easier to keep it clean and painted over time.

Advertisement

kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote