Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Cool

Sheathing

Building a garden shed. Should the roof sheathing cover the wall sheathing on the gable end or visa-versa?

lawnridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

Sheathing

Roof sheathing goes on top, but line the wall sheathing up where you want it at the bottom, and let the top fall where it does; your trim will cover any gap between it and the roof.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
lawnridge (08-09-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0
Cool

Sheathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Roof sheathing goes on top, but line the wall sheathing up where you want it at the bottom, and let the top fall where it does; your trim will cover any gap between it and the roof.
Is this correct?

Sheathing-sheathing.jpg
lawnridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #4

Sheathing

You've got it; then, of course, your drip edge will set over your trim. Or, you could let your roof sheathing run long, to cover the trim, if you're so inclined, but that usually throws off your 16" increments, and depending on your overall dimensions, can create quite a pile of scrap. Ideally, when you cut your wall sheathing, I would shoot for something like 1/8 - 3/16" gap, just to leave space for it to settle without putting the weight of the roof on the wall sheathing, but, again, I would line it up at the bottom, and not worry about the top, as it will be covered.
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
lawnridge (08-10-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #5

Sheathing

And by the way, when you cut the top of your wall sheating, I always use a framing square, and lay it out the same way that I would a rafter, i.e. 4/12, 5/12, 6/12, or whatever angle, as opposed to how I have seen some people do it, which is to mess around getting a length for each side of the piece.