Several Door Issues - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 694

Several door issues

I am fixing up an apartment and have issues with a few interior doors.

First, one of the doors will not stay open. If I open it all the way it will then slowly close by itself. Any easy way to fix this?

Second, two of the doors will not close because the bottom of the door hits the marble floor when it's 80% closed. I think it may have been carpet before and when they switched to using marble, the floor elevation raised and hence the problem with the door. This is standard interior door from Home Depot I believe. Do I remove the door and plane it, or is it easier to just use a circular saw to cut 1/2" off? Any tricks on what to do to avoid "ripping" the veneer edges as I saw through it?

Advertisement

miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 558

Several door issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
I am fixing up an apartment and have issues with a few interior doors.

First, one of the doors will not stay open. If I open it all the way it will then slowly close by itself. Any easy way to fix this? Use a door stop

Second, two of the doors will not close because the bottom of the door hits the marble floor when it's 80% closed. I think it may have been carpet before and when they switched to using marble, the floor elevation raised and hence the problem with the door. This is standard interior door from Home Depot I believe. Do I remove the door and plane it, or is it easier to just use a circular saw to cut 1/2" off? Any tricks on what to do to avoid "ripping" the veneer edges as I saw through it?
Take a look at this video : http://www.dannylipford.com/video/how-to-trim-a-door/

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 240

Several door issues

As far as the door closing,take the hinge pin out and hit it with a hammer and bend it.Not so much that you cant get it back in just needs a little bend.
As far as door dragging.1/2" is alot to take off with a planner so i would use a power saw.You can score your cut line with a knife or just put tape and that will keep from splinting.Usually there is about 3/4" of wood around the edges of a hollow core door.So if you cut past the wood you will have to glue the wood back in.
If you cant cut straight with a saw you might want to set you up a straight edge to guide the saw straight.
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote