Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

self enclosed Barbeque trailer

Hello everyone,
I'm so glad I found this website. I'm planing on building a self enclosed Barbeque trailer from a 24 foot trailer. I really don't have that much experience in carpentry and electrial. I do see that this website has threads that deal with woodworking, flooring, plumbing, roofing and electrical. So I know if I run into a problem I can find the answers here.

Thanks for any advise.

Thomas

Last edited by thomas34461; 08-09-2009 at 08:58 PM.
thomas34461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Trailers can be tricky!
You will need to know exactly how much weight is to be carried and how its to be balanced.
Tires, wheels, bearings and springs need to be capable of supporting the total weight. Not to mention the chassis as well.
Building such a trailer isn't like building a chicken coop!

This is a DIY site,its not for engineering a road worthy vehicle, that won't be a hazzard to the motoring public.
If you are absolutely intent upon buiding this, why not enroll in a mechanical engineering course at the university!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Trailers can be tricky!
You will need to know exactly how much weight is to be carried and how its to be balanced.
Tires, wheels, bearings and springs need to be capable of supporting the total weight. Not to mention the chassis as well.
Building such a trailer isn't like building a chicken coop!

This is a DIY site,its not for engineering a road worthy vehicle, that won't be a hazzard to the motoring public.
If you are absolutely intent upon buiding this, why not enroll in a mechanical engineering course at the university!
Every thing you have said I'm in total agreement with. Yes I know that this is a DIY website. I looked at other sites as well and just couldn't find a site that could give me some helpful information. Now I may do some of the work myself, but most of it will be made by somebody that has experience in making a "Road Worthy Vehicle". I was hoping to get some pointers from some experts here in what to look for and have done to make it safe. Thank you for your time and I apologized if I put my question on your DIY site, because as you so graciously say that itís not for engineering a road worthy vehicle. So sorry to waste your valuable time.

Thanks,

Thomas
thomas34461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

No need to get your britches in a bunch. Thomas, since you didn't ask a question per-se, what sort of answer do you actually expect to get? Wildie gave sound advice which could be some food for though. If you have a specific question about how to weld something, screw something together, what to use for whatever...This site can be a good resource.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas34461 View Post
Every thing you have said I'm in total agreement with. Yes I know that this is a DIY website. I looked at other sites as well and just couldn't find a site that could give me some helpful information. Now I may do some of the work myself, but most of it will be made by somebody that has experience in making a "Road Worthy Vehicle". I was hoping to get some pointers from some experts here in what to look for and have done to make it safe. Thank you for your time and I apologized if I put my question on your DIY site, because as you so graciously say that itís not for engineering a road worthy vehicle. So sorry to waste your valuable time.

Thanks,

Thomas
Thomas, this is'nt my site, its as much yours as it is mine.
Don't be offended, unfortunately there are limits as to what can be communicated in a paragraph!
Just by what you have said, leads me to believe that you could get yourself into a heap of trouble, if your knowledge level is what appears to be!
I tried to point out, a few of the problems that lie in wait for you, and how you must educate yourself for this project.
What you have shown in the photo, is a very complex unit, and you must be aware of this!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

Thomas, there is a tremendous amount of information on this site and sometimes the answers are meant well but could be edited to read better. May I suggest you visiting a site: www.weldtalk.com. These guys are more into cutting, welding, and construction of primarily metal products. I belong there also and those guys are just as helpful as these DIY people. Weldtalk just seems to me to be more for help with your project to me. But, your household DIY projects- keep those here, we're better at those than those metal bangers. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote