DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Seeking newbie guide to carpentry

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  iti 
#1 ·
Hello, I graduated from high school almost 5 years ago. Have spent 3 years in retail, and have recently started looking into trades and construction.

A year ago, I took a 4-month trades course, gaining little experience in welding, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, among a few other odds and ends. Since than, I have done 6 months of landscaping, and 3 months of roofing.

Spring is coming, the weather is getting better, and I want to get involved in the trades at this time, as where I live, the trades are booming here in Vancouver, BC.

I don't have much experience, and I forgot quite a bit of the stuff I did in the trades course, except I am reviewing it a little bit.

=============

What I seek is plain and simple:

I love math, I think I'd be a good finishing carpenter (cabinetmaker), so in the next few months, I want to dive into carpentry if I can and hopefully have a cabinetmaking (finishing carpenter) apprenticeship by this winter, but it will probably take a year or two I bet.

The reason I am here is to find a guide, with the proper vocabulary for carpentry. All the different tools, equipment, TErminology, vocabulary (Gypsum board? lol!!), etc.
I'm kind of new to all this, so a guide from the beginning, would be perfect.

==============

URLs would be nice, or almost anything. I'm very thankful I could be among such nice and honourable people who care, and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Thank you for your time,
Neo/Rico

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.