Securing Studs - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
Ward vs. Gatti Trilogy

Rewards Points: 10

Securing studs

Another beginner question here, how do you go about securing the studs to the framework. Obviously you use screws but do you just drill into the stud and the framing at an angle or is there hardware you use to attach them?

Thanks
Sean

Advertisement

boxer1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Securing studs

Sean,
This depends on what your building. If you talking about a wall you would have a plate on the top and bottom. Possibly two on the bottom. You can either nail through the plates into the studs, or toenail the studs to the plates.
If your talking about something other than a wall it might go differently. Some people refer to studs in ways that might not be correct. A stud is generally the verticle 2x4 or 2x6 in a wall.
If you can be more specific we might have more information.

Advertisement

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #3
Ward vs. Gatti Trilogy

Securing studs

I am talking about the same stud you are, a wall stud, the one you would use a studfinder to use. Anyone who wrongly refers to that must not know what the hell they're talking about. Anyway the plates you are talking about are they the metal brackets I see they are blue when I see them but I'd imagine they are always different. So do those just have like a bunch of little areas to nail into the stud and wood for securing the stud? And what is toenailing this bracket into the stud, is that like putting the nail in at an angle or what?

Thanks so much for all your help

Sean
Old 05-11-2005, 11:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 548

Securing studs

:confused: ... The plates he's referring to are 2x4's, one on top, one or 2 on bottom. They lay horizontally, and hold all the studs together. Unless your overbuilding for some really strong forces (wind, etc), I see no purpose in using any metal brackets in building walls.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Ward vs. Gatti Trilogy

Securing studs

So what your saying jp is that you'd just run the screws diagonal through the bottom/top of the stud and straight into the 2x4? I thought thats how it would be done...

Thanks

Sean
Old 05-12-2005, 05:08 PM   #6

Securing studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer1-2
I am talking about the same stud you are, a wall stud, the one you would use a studfinder to use. Anyone who wrongly refers to that must not know what the hell they're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer1-2
Anyway the plates you are talking about are they the metal brackets I see they are blue when I see them but I'd imagine they are always different. So do those just have like a bunch of little areas to nail into the stud and wood for securing the stud? And what is toenailing this bracket into the stud, is that like putting the nail in at an angle or what?
Anyone that doesn't know what toenailing and plates are must not know what the hell they're talking about :p

Just kidding!

Are you building a new wall in a pre-existing room? If so, secure your top & bottom plates and toenail your studs.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kevin K; 05-12-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote