Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2009, 04:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Screwing hinges to ends of plywood

The plans for a miter saw stand I am building call for plywood wings and extension arms to be attached to the edge of the stands top with 3" light duty T hinges.

The top of the T is fastened to the but end of the stand's 3/4" plywod top with 3 drywall screws. The wings are supported by swing out gussets, when raised. When lowered, the hinges bear the entire weight of the wings.

That edge is 2" from the top's nearest point of support, the cabinet. I wonder how well those screws are going to hold or if the plywood is going to rip out. (Pilot holes will be drilled) The wings with extensiions are fairly heavy. I would estimate that each one is made from a third of a full panel of 3/4" plywood.

I wonder if I should reinforce the top with a 2" wide piece of 3/4" plywood fastened to the bottom of the top's overhang and to the side of the base on which the top rests.

Here is the stand. Unless it looks like the plan is definitely weak, I am inlcined to just follow it, but I don't see any downside to supporting the left and right sides of the top. I am also wondering about adding some red oak to the edges with screws and glue, and then attaching the hinges to the oak. What do you think?
Attached Images

Last edited by Klawman; 12-09-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I'd go with the red oak option. I've never seen screws that held all that well to the edge of a piece of plywood. Either tongue and groove the oak to the plywood or biscuit join it. If you are screwing through the plys, that is different. They should hold. Especially a course threaded screw.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 12-09-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Chicago, IL

Through-bolts with recess heads and fender washers?
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 590

Can you mount the hinge to the under side of the table and the wings with through countersunk machine screws, washers and nuts? If not go with Maintenance 6 suggestion and band the plywood with a solid hardwood.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #5

I am glad that I aked. The design of the table won't allow for mounting the hinges to the bottom of the table. (The pivot point of the hinge pin has to be located at the level of the table's top surface.) I know what bisquits are but don't have anything for recessing the ply so it will accept them. However, I believe I can cut a tongue and groove with several passes of on my little bench saw. I will set it up to cut 3/16" on the top and bottom of the table and make enough passes to make a 3/8" x 3/8" tongue. Then I will set the blade to cut a 3/8" x 3/8" wide groove down the center of one side of a piece of 3/4" red oak. In addition to gluing I will use 3 drywall screws and I will drill pilot holes. Thanks. I may just go ahead and "band" the front and back edges.
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plywood, saw stand