Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

Share |

scratches in coffee table

picked up a freebie coffee table with a nice glass top...i noticed some rather long scratches in it......is there a product that really works to remove scratches on the market? I haven't tried anything yet...was going to start with toothpaste and see what happened....i just don't want to make it any worse...the rest is in great shape....a $200 table new thx all
doctordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
the Musigician

Scratches in the wood or the nice glass top?

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Scratches are in the glass top or wood surface under it?

Don't use toothpaste even if you think you can polish the scratch. There is not much availed to the consumer market for polishing out scratches in plate glass or even glass countertops yet. A glass shop might be willing to order the paste abrasives and diamond pads used most commonly for removing scratches or can polish it out for you. Whether it is worth it depends on what type of glass you have and whether the expense is justifiable. Sometimes, if you can, flipping the top over so the scratches are on the bottom can make them less noticeable.

If the scratches are in the wood underneath the glass top?

Get a mild abrasive at the paint or wood worker store. They sell filler pencil things in popular stain colors for filling scratches. You can sometimes accomplish the same thing raiding the kids' crayolas. Just melt some of the color in the scratch and burnish it in. Q-tip and some gel stain could work.

Raise the glass top off the surface if you are putting it back in place with buttons to raise it around the perimeter. You do not want it touching the wood directly.

Last edited by user1007; 06-26-2011 at 10:06 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
the Musigician

I'm always inclined to sand and refinish the bad ones if it's solid wood and not a veneer.
Cover-ups always seem to look like.... well, cover-ups. I know I always notice them.

DM
Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordog View Post
picked up a freebie coffee table with a nice glass top...i noticed some rather long scratches in it......is there a product that really works to remove scratches on the market? I haven't tried anything yet...was going to start with toothpaste and see what happened....i just don't want to make it any worse...the rest is in great shape....a $200 table new thx all
You might be able to polish out light scratches on the glass using polishing compound. It's sold in automotive stores and comes in various grits up to 6000 or so. A hand buffing machine works very well.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Scratches are in the glass top or wood surface under it?

Don't use toothpaste even if you think you can polish the scratch. There is not much availed to the consumer market for polishing out scratches in plate glass or even glass countertops yet. A glass shop might be willing to order the paste abrasives and diamond pads used most commonly for removing scratches or can polish it out for you. Whether it is worth it depends on what type of glass you have and whether the expense is justifiable. Sometimes, if you can, flipping the top over so the scratches are on the bottom can make them less noticeable.

If the scratches are in the wood underneath the glass top?

Get a mild abrasive at the paint or wood worker store. They sell filler pencil things in popular stain colors for filling scratches. You can sometimes accomplish the same thing raiding the kids' crayolas. Just melt some of the color in the scratch and burnish it in. Q-tip and some gel stain could work.

Raise the glass top off the surface if you are putting it back in place with buttons to raise it around the perimeter. You do not want it touching the wood directly.
My friend once told me that if you got a scratch on your watch's glass surface, you can rub toothpaste on it with a tooth brush and it will get the scratch out. I've tried it once and i think it worked.

But, reading sdsester's suggestion.. its really makes me to reconsider the toothpaste solution
dapperdraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdraker View Post
I've tried it once and i think it worked.
When you're sure, let us know.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
the Musigician

Most watch "glass" is hard plastic, so yes, toothpaste does work. I've used it, then buffed to remove minor scratches.

DM
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #9

glass top...still haven't really heard any information here yet.......toothpaste yes???? no????? or research a commercial product????
doctordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
the Musigician

I never tried toothpaste on real glass. I suppose it's worth a shot, but if it's that bad, I'd just replace the glass.

DM
Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I never tried toothpaste on real glass. I suppose it's worth a shot, but if it's that bad, I'd just replace the glass.

DM
Used to try toothpaste to polish out some crud from plastic windows of British sports cars. There is not enough or hard enough abrasive to do anything with a glass scratch. I hope! Think what that would do to a nice set of choppers?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #12

If the scratch in the glass is really light toothpaste might work, but cerium oxide powder (available at any lapidary shop) mixed with a little water would work ten times faster. (Diamond paste would be better yet, but cerium oxide is a lot cheaper.)

If the scratch is deep enough that you can catch it with your finger nail, forget polishing it out by hand - you'll need to grind it out. Might be worth looking into filling it with epoxy instead.
jules4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jules4 For This Useful Post:
doctordog (07-12-2011)