DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Save me from overthinking window casing

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  abracaboom 
#1 ·
I've started and stopped this project at lease a half a dozen times already. I'm terrified to mess it up.

We've got a 1905 craftsman and replaced some exterior windows. The installation of the windows isn't perfect and it leaves me with the messy job of installing window casing on windows that don't perfectly line up with the siding.

Should I notch the casing board or put a filler piece to not have casing that sits on an angle?

You can check out the photos here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1078...ms/5702518661117805985?authkey=CKupp5j9rY62Bg

#2 ·
Not sure how to tell you but none of this job looks right to me, your asking to rot and air leaks. Hire someone that knows how to do this.
Why wooden framed windows? There almost never used anymore for lots of reasons, the main one is non stop maintaince.

#4 ·
and a hell of a lot more expensive than vinyl. im currently doing a complete remodel where were replacing all hte old wood windows with new wood windows.. 13 windows cost the home owner $22,000. we tried talking them into saving some money and going with vinyl.. but they didnt want vinyl.. could have saved them roughly $8000

#6 ·
In the old windows, the casing overlaps the siding. Do the same with the new windows. It looks like you might have to glue and nail some 1/4" to 1/2"-thick flat molding to your new windows so that the new casing will lay flat on the siding. If your new casing has to be a bit wider than the old one to cover the siding, no one will notice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.