Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
uva uvam videndo variafit

Share |

Router Template

I bought a template from Rockler for the router base that I also bought from Rockler. However, there is a sixteenth of slack overall in each direction between the base and the template. So, I thought maybe I could use a bushing to back off of the template make a smaller hole, but I doubt anything is made that small to allow a 32nd and clear the bit.

My second thought was to rip some hardwood scrap to a 32nd (if I can) and use those as shims, but I would have a hard time at the corners. I suppose I could try to shim it with tape, but that seems like an iffy solution to me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WirelessG For This Useful Post:
Terrick (03-28-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #2

Router Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
I bought a template from Rockler for the router base that I also bought from Rockler. However, there is a sixteenth of slack overall in each direction between the base and the template. So, I thought maybe I could use a bushing to back off of the template make a smaller hole, but I doubt anything is made that small to allow a 32nd and clear the bit.

My second thought was to rip some hardwood scrap to a 32nd (if I can) and use those as shims, but I would have a hard time at the corners. I suppose I could try to shim it with tape, but that seems like an iffy solution to me.

Does anyone have any ideas?
What's the router template for?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Router Template

Ron - The template is for the cut in a router table top to accept the router base. You would think that Rockler would make the template without any slack.

The only other solution that I can think of is to set the template in position and stay it with two stops - one running N/S and the other running E/W. From there, shim out from the stops by 1/16 South and then 1/16 East and and cut the table top on the North and West sides. After that is done, remove the shims and reposition the template and cut the South and East sides.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #4

Router Template

Does nobody have any thoughts?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

Router Template

Quote:
Can't you run a perimeter of veneer around the inside of the template?
Ron
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
DIY staff

Router Template

Does the template use a bearing bit? If so perhaps a larger bearing?

If all else fails make your own,more accurate template using a guide bushing set and a 1/4" bit--

It's bed time--if you want instructions on making templates let me know and I'll post them tomorrow.

In the mean time google --router inlay work (you tube also)

It's easy to do---guide bushing set and 1/4" bit---I had to grind off some of the length on one of the bushings----More info tomorrow if you wish.

The same skill is used to remove a knot and patch a board--also insetting those brass floor plates that hold an electrical outlet ----good skill ----Mike----
Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #7

Router Template

Ron -

I was thinking along similar lines in my second post. If I locate the template and use two 1x's or a t-square, clamped down on the NW corner of the template, then I can to fix the location of the template. Then cut the E and S sides. After that shim between the t-square on the N and W sides 1/16, and then cut the N and W sides. This would reduce the template by 1/16 from outside the template if that makes sense. I suspect the radii at the corners might end up a little elliptical.

Mike -

I'm not very experienced in router bushings, but I think what you are suggesting is that I use the router base as a template to cut an oversized template and then use the oversized template with a larger bushing to get to the correct size template. Is this correct? If so, I will give it a try, but I would like to make the purchased template work if possible.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #8
DIY staff

Router Template

Quote:
Ron -

Mike -

I'm not very experienced in router bushings, but I think what you are suggesting is that I use the router base as a template to cut an oversized template and then use the oversized template with a larger bushing to get to the correct size template. Is this correct? If so, I will give it a try, but I would like to make the purchased template work if possible.

Thanks guys.
Exactly! Sorry I didn't get back sooner--The process takes a bit of time--
However,it will give you an exact match.

A set of guide bushings will be needed eventually,for some project.
Nice to have them when you need them.---Mike---
Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #9

Router Template

I have a set of bushing for my Porter Cable, but it's fine adjustment is broke, so I don't use it much. I also have a DeWalt 621, but I don't remember getting a base for it that will accept bushings and I can't seem to find it on line. Is it possible that one doesn't exist for this router? It's hard to imagine that this is the case.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
remodeling pro

Router Template

Quote:
Check the catalogue again to see the recommended router bit/bearing combination; I suspect you have the wrong bit. Many templates use a 1/2" dia. bit with a 5/8" bearing, thus cutting 1/16" smaller all around. This helps protect the template from easily being damaged by the bit. The math fits this kind of scenario quite suspiciously.

I assure you, the template was not designed to require some of the wierd shimming suggestions I see here.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 03-16-2011 at 08:25 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #11

Router Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Check the catalogue again to see the recommended router bit/bearing combination; I suspect you have the wrong bit. Many templates use a 1/2" dia. bit with a 5/8" bearing, thus cutting 1/16" smaller all around. This helps protect the template from easily being damaged by the bit. The math fits this kind of scenario quite suspiciously.

I assure you, the template was not designed to require some of the wierd shimming suggestions I see here.

You may very well be correct. The bit that Rockler suggests is a 33536. The product description does not mention a disparity between the bearing diameter and the cutting diameter, but the enlarged picture seems to indicate that there is a difference.

Last edited by WirelessG; 03-16-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #12

Router Template

Using a 1/4 straight cut bit with 1/2 and 1 bushings I made a template. However, there is still weak 1/16 of slack in it. I bought the bushing set from Woodcraft years ago. It's a no-name set - maybe the dia of the bushings is off a little. I'm about ready to stick my head in a fire and bite a hot coal. Either that or beat the sh*t out of my neighbor's toaster.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #13

Router Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post

I've tried 3 times now with the Rockler template and recommended bit. I ended up each time with 1/16 slack.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #14

Router Template

I am new to this forum... I want to know more about it... What is this all about... And how can we get benefitted to it more? Help please!
Terrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #15

Router Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrick View Post
I am new to this forum... I want to know more about it... What is this all about... And how can we get benefitted to it more? Help please!
Are we using the forum to practice your English? Because most of the posts are banal.
Ron