Rough Framing For Closet Door - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Rough framing for closet door

i'm planning on installing an 18"x80" closet door, with an r/o of 20"x82". the floors are less than level here, and in fact within the proposed opening, drops 3/4". here's my question: is it better to measure for the header from the higher side of the opening and deal with the gap, or should i measure from the lower side and cut down the jamb and the door? it's a left hand swing with the highest point on that side (lowest point-hinge side). i hope this makes sense, because i just confused myself a little too. thanks for any advise!

cheers!!

nate

Advertisement

neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
A door a day is all I ask

Hi Nate,
Am I reading your post correctly?....Does your floor change height by 3/4" in 18"??
That just doesn't seem possible to me ...In any case, if the the bottom of the jambs
are visible on the finish floor I would cut a jamb leg and trim the bottom of door as needed
to make head level.

Advertisement

TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #3

yes, you read me correctly...and have the same conclusion i came to. however, just to assure you that this is possible (especially when you live in a house built out of an old motel), i have included pics.

this is a 2 ft level. you can't make this up...you should have seen the rest of the house when we first moved in. D.I.Y. or DIE!

cheers!!

nate

Last edited by neight; 01-07-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
A door a day is all I ask

Wow, great photographic proof, Nate!
Don't drop any marbles on floor!

Best of luck with project.

TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by neight View Post
yes, you read me correctly...and have the same conclusion i came to. however, just to assure you that this is possible (especially when you live in a house built out of an old motel), i have included pics.

this is a 2 ft level. you can't make this up...you should have seen the rest of the house when we first moved in. D.I.Y. or DIE!

cheers!!

nate
Nate.

What is causing this to sag that much?

Last edited by Joe Carola; 01-07-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #6

alright, quick rundown: this house was built in 19?? out of an old motel. on paper it says 1930, but when i tore down some walls, i found old scratch dating back to 1945, so it was a built after that. regardless, it has an unfinished basement, so i have access to view the joists and sub floor. there is slight settlement with the home, which is normal, especially for the sandy soil on which it was built. however, the joists and sub floor are in satisfactory condition. basically, i think the flooring around the sill is lifting and the rest of the house is settling. the sub floor does not drop at the same rate as the flooring. if you or anyone else has a different thought about this, i'd love to here it. it's a little hard to explain, but if pictures work better, i'm happy to take them.

cheers!!

nate
Old 01-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

For framing your RO i'd measure from the high side, better to have a little bit more room than not quite enough,
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

I'd leave maybe1/4" gap under the hinge side and level across so the latch side of the door doesn't hit the floor when open. You might want to check the level from the hinge jamb coming out into the room. I'd consider a threshold to make it look a bit better.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by neight View Post
alright, quick rundown: this house was built in 19?? out of an old motel. on paper it says 1930, but when i tore down some walls, i found old scratch dating back to 1945, so it was a built after that. regardless, it has an unfinished basement, so i have access to view the joists and sub floor. there is slight settlement with the home, which is normal, especially for the sandy soil on which it was built. however, the joists and sub floor are in satisfactory condition. basically, i think the flooring around the sill is lifting and the rest of the house is settling. the sub floor does not drop at the same rate as the flooring. if you or anyone else has a different thought about this, i'd love to here it. it's a little hard to explain, but if pictures work better, i'm happy to take them.

cheers!!

nate
Yes, take pictures because 3/4" sag in 18" is very bad.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #10

first off, i'd like to thank everyone for their advice. i ended up measuring from the high side so i wouldn't limit myself with the install (can always use blocking if need be).
secondly, and this is for joe...i took some pics of the sub-floor and joists. these were taken from the same north facing direction directly under the closet. the results follow:

the above pic is what gave me the impression that the flooring around the sill is lifted. you can't see the gap in the picture, but it's there...i can fit my finger through it.

this one was a little difficult, but we did the best we could. this is a parallel joist and we had to level off the strapping. there's a half inch to level here in the opposite direction from what the floor is doing right above. kinda like a sideways v i guess >.

this is the last photo. to the right of the header is the closet sub-floor. to the left a stairwell. maybe lack of support? shouldn't the header be doubled up? i just finished framing and dry walling this afternoon, so lets keep that in consideration....please.

cheers!

nate

Advertisement

Tags
interior doors , rough opening , uneven floor