Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #1

Share |

rotting window

I took the dry wall off around my garage window and found out that the previous owner didn`t caulk around the outside of the window.So for the past 18yrs the water has been running in between the outside frame and the inside frame, going down the wall into open cinder blocks which aren`t sealed.
I have 2 questions ,(1)what is the best way to cap off cinder blocks inside your house , the foundation is made of cinder blocks and the old owner just put insulation in them with no frame around them and now some are broken
(2)what is the best way of fixing the rotten 2x4 under the window since all wood is now rotten including the frame next to the cinder blocks and the wood holding up the window.

I bought this house with out legal warrenty for a good price but will TLC and government bailout (lol)

Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #2

rotting window

Since the window was never properly flashed or caulked, I would remove the window, cut out what framing is bad and replace, then reinstall the window with proper flashing above, on the sides and bottom, and caulk.

A good sawzall with a deft touch, and a wonder bar will get out the framing without removing exterior siding.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Household Handyman

rotting window

"Just Bill" is right on that, I've done many of them that way, and I'll bet he has also.
I'm not sure I understand about capping off cinder blocks inside your home. Exactly where would these blocks be inside the home which need capping? Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

rotting window

Here's to hating former homeowners!