Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Rotten sill/support - no subfloor, raised frame

I inherited a house last fall, and I am finally able to start fixing things. I have a background in contracting & subcontracting, so suffice to say this won't be my first rodeo, but i'm running into an enormous problem, every time i walk through the front door.

the threshold, sill, and front door support (4x4?) are all rotted. there is no insect activity, it's just years and years of use. house was built in 1860s, this is addition - front porch/mudroom, i would date it to early 40s. it is probably the original support and sill. i've included an image of it i created (in paint) because pictures can't adequately show the problem.

the frame of this room is elevated on 4x4s - the entire house is post & beam construction - approx 4' off the ground.

i don't have the first idea how to go about replacing the support beneath the sill. i don't see much point in just replacing the door since eventually won't HAVE a threshold to walk over. i know i need to find the point of moisture entry, but i'm willing to bet it's an ice dam & lack of gutters, and am working on installing the gutters rn.

any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. do i jack joists on either side of rotten support? and if so, where do i get (borrow/rent) 4' jacks?

thank you so much in advance. i'm new to (and unprepared for) home ownership and maintenance!

Last edited by maalivahti; 03-12-2013 at 10:16 PM.
maalivahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #2

Really need real pictures.
We see this all the time, in fact there hundreds of people dealing with the same problum in this site and any other DIY site.
I used to have to do at least 4 or 5 of these repairs a year.
Porch, deck, stoop deck were installed without propper waterproofing the wall.
Installed to close to the threshold. (by code it needed to be at least 4" below it)
No flashing or sill pan under the door.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #3

you hit the nail on the head. there's not a THING done in this house that was up to code. i was shocked to find flashing at the roof/siding joint on the roof over this porch. to make matters worse, all measurements are uncommon.

i will try to get pictures in AM
maalivahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #4

i have a similar problem and still havent found the answer so ill check back here later. Maybe you will have better luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Assuming that you have a header in place over the door, and the weight above is taken down through the trimmers to the foundation, you can just remove the door and rebuild the area under it.

Cut along the paint/trim intersection so you dont pull paint off the wall, then remove the casing from the inside. The outer casing will usually go with the door.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raised house, rot, rotten door sill, threshold