DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

rotten sill plate replacement

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Marvin Gardens 
#1 ·
I am trying to repair a rotten sill plate one the corner of the first level of the house.there is rot on the corner post and studs as well as sub floor.
rot was caused by gutter leak that allowed water to run behind the brick
and down to the sill plate. the sill plates and affected joists are supported
by masonry piers . can i repair the sills ect without jacking the the joists,since the support from the existing piers is already carring the joist load. i think I will need to build a temporary support wall in the room to
support the top load on the sill . I only need to replace 24 inches of sill
on each of the sills,which would leave 12inches of supported sill on the piers. can I do this without jacking the floor joists from the crawl space ?

#4 ·
Generally I would say no although I am not there and can't see what you have. But from experience I have found that doing this requires moving the weight off the sill plate, not so much to get it out, but to get the new one in.

But the good news is that you don't have to jack it up very far. Just enough to hold the structure from settling and allow you to get another sill plate in there. Most of the time this is about 1/4" or so. Do it just enough to get the plate in, no more.

If you span enough joists you won't have to worry about cracking plaster/sheetrock and throwing doors out of kilter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.