Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rotten sill plate and cripple wall stud

Hi,

I was looking under our house to see if I needed to insulate our hot water pipes, and found this mess. Apparently our washer drain has had a small leak for a while. Part of the sill plate is pretty rotten, as is the stud in the cripple wall. You can see the old metal (cast iron??) pipe coming down from above, and then where it attaches to the abs pipe. I'll be replacing that whole old section, but I'm more concerned about the rotten framing.

Can I just replace the small section of the sill plate that is bad? And I would imagine to replace the bad stud, I'll need to hammer in some temporary support for the floor joist.

Luckily that section of the crawlspace is a few feet high, so working down there won't be completely impossible.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Rotten sill plate and cripple wall stud-washer_drain_leak_sm.jpg  

kristok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,110

Everything I can see in that picture needs to be replaced or fastened up in place.
All the old steel pipe both drains and supply's needs to go. If it's not already leaking it will and it plugs up on the inside.
That ABS drain line has a low spot.
Wires need to be stapled to the joist.
Hard to tell what's going on with the wood in question, all of it should have been pressure treated.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The steel pipe up top isn't in service any more - when they did copper in the house apparently they couldn't be bothered to clean the old stuff out. I'm slowly cleaning up all the old junk down there. Amazing the crap you'll find in a crawlspace.

In terms of pressure treated - the house was built in 1926. Did they have pressure treated lumber then? The stud is definitely shot, you can almost poke your finger into part of it. The length of the sill plate that seems questionable is pretty short, I may just replace it for good measure to avoid any future issues.
kristok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Sure you can replace a small section or the sill and framing---I doubt if that short section will affect the structure when you cut it out--but adding some temporary shoring might be a safe measure--you are there--so you must be the judge--

When cutting the stud---if your saw binds up--there might be a load on the stud--
Old 08-23-2014, 02:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 528

you need a support before and right after that 3" coupling take that bend out of it that is were the water is coming from. yuck black water.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote