Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Rotten Exterior Window Trim - Need help.

Hi!

How do I repair rotted exterior window trim.

Two trip pieces are involved on the lower edge of the window. The rotted part is about one and half feet long and extends into a small trim piece above. It is about one inch deep (back to the window). The damage doesn't look as if it goes into the framing.

The trim pieces are about five feet long.

Is it possible to clear out the rotted wood and fill it in with something or am I looking at a larger job? What are other things I need to watch out for? Can I do the job myself?

Thank you for advice.

- L

LGeb051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #2

Not sure what you are describing. If the brickmold is rotted(not uncommon) just replace it, and use PVC or composite. If the sill or window frame are rotted, but not too badly, they can be fixed with epoxy made for that type of repair. Check big box or hardware stores. Major rot requires replacement.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #3

Let me describe the issue a bit better.

At the bottom of the window there is a very small piece of wooden trim which sits on top of a 1" deep, piece of wood. The rest of the window is wrapped in aluminum siding.

I was preparing to touch up the paint on the outside of a large picture window when I found a soft spot in larger piece of trim. The soft spot is about 15 inches long ( the trim piece is about five feet long and 1" deep) - it extends the depth of the trim piece and goes up into the smaller trim piece above it. The top trim piece has little damage.

The issues:

How to fix it? I have fixed smaller pieces of wood rot before, but this is much larger. I've been told:

* this job is too big for a do it yourselfer
* buy a new window
* use some type of epoxy filler

The window trim (on the bottom) needs yearly paint touch up maintenance in order to keep it up.

I had a handyman in here yesterday that no problem, I can have this fixed for you within a couple of days using an epoxy filler of some kind. I don't know this fellow and am unsure of his expertise - haven't heard back from his references yet.

- L
LGeb051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #4

Using a 2 part filler like bondo works great, they even make a variant that is wood specific. I think the only difference is color. Hares the catch, You have to use a wood hardener first. If you don’t the repair will fail. The bondo will last forever but not stay attached to the rotten wood since its not a solid surface. remove the roten wood as much as possible, apply hardener (I suggest minwax wood hardener) liberally, when the hardener is dry apply the bondo, sand and paint. Good luck.

Kris
www.buildashedhouse.com
kschmandt is offline   Reply With Quote