Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #1

Share |

Rotted Soffit and Fascia

Hired a seamless gutter crew to come install new gutters. They tore off the old gutters and found rotted fascia in places. I thought I might be able to do the repair myself, so went up for a closer look. I found that at the corners of the house the soffit is rotted as well...

I'm looking for suggestions on fixing this. I'm fairly handy, but don't have experience with soffit repair. Is there a simple, but working solution that I might be able to handle? What would you pros do?

Here are some pictures. Note the metal hanging down in front of the fascia. That has me confused as to what to do with it as well. I feel like I need to get this done quickly since this is the rainy season here...

boyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
STAFF

Rotted Soffit and Fascia

The only thing I would do is tear into it and see what all is rotten. Once in there you will see what you will need to replace. The first thing would be to stop the water so what you replace will not be ruined. I would suspect that the rafter tails are gone also and will need to be scabbed onto to hold everything in place.

The metal piece looks like drip edging and is to divert water away, just take it out as easy as you can so you can use it again. One good thing is the soffit is 1X4 bead board and will be easy to find in the event you need to replace any of that.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 05-08-2009 at 10:15 PM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote