Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #1

Share |

ripping drywall boards

what method of holding a knife to a tape measure to rip boards do you think is the easiest and most effective? Pushing the blade against the end of the tap and sliding them together or actually holding them together? Or other.

JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
Mod / ArchiBuilder

ripping drywall boards

Well how much will you be ripping?

If it is a couple of pieces, you can simply snap a chalk line and cut it free hand or make your marks and use a drywall T-square and go that route.

I am sort of confused by your question as you will always have to hold both of them.

Last edited by Cole; 09-09-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

ripping drywall boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD140 View Post
what method of holding a knife to a tape measure to rip boards do you think is the easiest and most effective? Pushing the blade against the end of the tap and sliding them together or actually holding them together? Or other.
I know exactly what he means...as I started out in the trades doing Drywall & Taping (circa 1984).

Best method is to "hook" the tape end over the utility blade. It helps if you are using a "drywall" type utility knife (non-retracting knife) that has an inserted - extended blade.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #4

ripping drywall boards

Also: the key to a straight cut is to "lock" your wrists into the position that both gripping hands need to be in. If you try and do the rips with a limp-wrist and a limp-hold ..... on the tape and blade - the cut will be all over the sheetorck (very wavy)....
Old 09-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Weekend Builder

ripping drywall boards

?? explain please; very curious to what you mean!
Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

ripping drywall boards

i tought myself but i run the tape left handed from right side of rock going left when looking at it. I then line up the blade in my right hand to the mark, I cut with my thumb on top of the blade. So then I wrap my left thumb over my right while holding the tape in my left palm. This locks them together as Atlantic says. This works for me for short cuts say 24" or less. Otherwise I use the rock square or on occasion roofers square. Of, also a Fat Max worse best if your hand is big enough to hold it... wide enough to slide along and stay straight.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
Electrician

ripping drywall boards

This is called a Rock Ripper... perfect rip every time...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Mod / ArchiBuilder

ripping drywall boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post

This is called a Rock Ripper... perfect rip every time...
Neat little tool, I am sure for most people it would work great.

But you know how those old timers are...
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:27 AM   #9

ripping drywall boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Neat little tool, I am sure for most people it would work great. But you know how those old timers are...

Waste of money....

Old 09-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
remodeling pro

ripping drywall boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD140 View Post
I think the most effective method is the one that is not going to require wasted time heading to the doctor for stiches Experienced drywallers of course use the extended tape/knife to make cuts all the time. Although it is not rocket science, it is an acquired knack to do it accurately and safely. I would just lay the boards flat and use a straightedge to guide the blade for the cut.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #11

ripping drywall boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
I think the most effective method is the one that is not going to require wasted time heading to the doctor for stiches Experienced drywallers of course use the extended tape/knife to make cuts all the time. Although it is not rocket science, it is an acquired knack to do it accurately and safely. I would just lay the boards flat and use a straightedge to guide the blade for the cut.
Not trying to start anything.....just an observation:

IMHO: The chances of getting cut are much higher when doing the typical sheetrock cutting with a T-square.

Example: Holding a T-square in place with one hand, while running the knife in long hard cutting strokes (blade inches away from that one stationary hand holding the T-square in position)....is much more dangerous than ripping (using two hands apart, moving smoothly and gently, in the same direction - with controlled & locked wrists)....

Never, ever cut myself doing rips, nor saw any of our hangers (or saw/heard of other hangers) do that at anytime while doing rips.

On the other hand, the only time I had knife accidents, or saw them happen, was while doing standard sheetrock cuts with a T-square and knife ....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-13-2007 at 09:43 PM.