Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Rigid Desktop Support Ideas?

I am building a home office area for our home. I am putting it together using a set of 28.5 inch high base cabinets with a long stretch (60 inches)of desk between them. The depth of the desktop will be 24 inches. The desk surface will be Corian.

I am looking for the best way to support the 5 foot stretch of desktop. It will be fully supported along the back, where it will be attached to the wall, and the sides, where it will be resting on the base cabinets. What I am not sure of is how it should be supported along the front. Right now I am experimenting with 1 inch subfloor plywood supported by a piece of square tubular steel (1.25 in) but I am not sure of this is overkill.

Will the 1 in plywood be enough? Any other ideas for support structures? The support can't be terribly thick or it will interfere with using the desk. All ideas/ramblings/inspirations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric

emckinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I would not use Plywood...it will offer little support laying flat. I would look at possibly fixing a small piece of angle iron like 1-1/4" x 2" x 3/16" to the bottom with the short leg pointing down to your lap. If you have the 1-1/4" square tube...you could use it as well, unless it's really light weight. Each end of the angle iron could be fastened to the cabinets and a dab of adhesive in the center would keep it from moving.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Oldie but Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by emckinlay View Post
I am building a home office area for our home. I am putting it together using a set of 28.5 inch high base cabinets with a long stretch (60 inches)of desk between them. The depth of the desktop will be 24 inches. The desk surface will be Corian.

I am looking for the best way to support the 5 foot stretch of desktop. It will be fully supported along the back, where it will be attached to the wall, and the sides, where it will be resting on the base cabinets. What I am not sure of is how it should be supported along the front. Right now I am experimenting with 1 inch subfloor plywood supported by a piece of square tubular steel (1.25 in) but I am not sure of this is overkill.

Will the 1 in plywood be enough? Any other ideas for support structures? The support can't be terribly thick or it will interfere with using the desk. All ideas/ramblings/inspirations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric
How is the Corian applied to the desktop? What is the under the Corian? How is the front edge finished?

Given that it is supported at the back and on either side, I don't think it will require much support in the front, and an inch of plywood ought to be more than enough.
LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply!
Ya, I was worried about the plywood sagging over time. I assume that you are suggesting putting the angle under a piece of plywood, right? For this set up it seems like 3/4 ply would be fine. My 1.25 in square tube is definitely beefy (the sides are 3/16 or so thick). It also has the advantage of having rounded corners so it would be less likely to catch on stuff (like legs!).

E
Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #5

sounds like your tube should hold the weight...but why would you need any ply with the metal...what am I missing?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #6

I was just thinking (assuming?) that the corian needs more continuous support beneath it.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #7

Leave the plywood out...If you can the tube across the width, removing the plywood will allow you additional leg room. a couple of spots of adhesive will keep it all in place. This is where you may want to consider angle iron, you can remove part of the vertical leg and allow the flat portion to extend onto the side cabinets, so you won't have to fabricate anything to support the tube....just a thought.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Excellent idea! I could probably do the same thing with my tube by removing 3 sides on the ends but the angle would be way easier.
Thanks for your help.
E

Tags
corian, desktop, rigidity