Retiling Half The Wall - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Retiling half the wall

Hey guys,

I joined this forum about 2 weeks ago for my electrical issue and read alot of useful threads and figured everything out without even asking in the forum. This place is great!

Well its now time to move on to my next project. I can use some tips/advice on how to accomplish it. Its my basement shower, when i bought the house i knew i had to replace/re-tile half the wall (where the fixtures are). How should i start, remove half the tiles and cut out half the backboard and just replace? Is that it? or do i need to remove all the tiles on the wall and replace the hole backboard?

Is it backboard or backerboard?

thanks guys as you can tell i'm a novice but a fast learner

thanks
- O

Advertisement

omanalansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Licensed Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Retiling half the wall

Backboards are for basketball, backerboards are for tile. And were I you, I would remove the tile from the whole wall, install new backer, and retile. Depending on what you find, it might be prudent to retile all the walls.
If you decide to only remove half the backer, you need to remove more than half the tile so freshlaid tile will cover the backer seam. Again, the job will look much better if the whole wall is done.
Enjoy.

Advertisement

Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Retiling half the wall

That's good advice. Also remember that the backerboard seams and corners should be taped with backerboard tape and mudded with thinset. That will be hard to do unless the entire wall is removed and replaced. The backerboard should also be waterproofed before tiling as well.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #4

Retiling half the wall

Thanks guys! Greatly appreciate it. Now its time to start ripping some tiles off, hopefully it isn't that bad behind. Can't wait.

I didn't know about this,
"Also remember that the backerboard seams and corners should be taped with backerboard tape and mudded with thinset" Is there anything else ?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Licensed Contractor

Retiling half the wall

As TKCT referred, the seams need to be taped (use mesh tape made specifically for backerbds) and set using thinset. This mean the corners as well. So if you take down one wall and install new backer, you won't be able to properly tape and mud the corner seams, which could be a critical mistake, allowing moisture into the framing.
Unless you can save a few inches of the old backer along the vertical corners, you might be well advised to take down all walls and redo it from the pan up.
The moisture barrier TKCT alluded to can be found had a good tile store, although I have also used Red Gard from HD. You brush/spray/trowel it on until you form a waterproof membrane. Tile goes over that.
Depending on who you talk to, your vertical corners should be caulked, rather than grouted. Ask for color-matching caulk when you order your grout (the big box stores don't usually carry this. And BTW, you should try to maintain continuity in your products, like using both Maipei thinset and grout.) Find a decent tile store to order your grout; they will have a larger selection, and can provide the caulk, as well. Sanded grout only if joints are 1/8" or greater.
We don't know your level of expertise at tiling, so it's difficult to determine what you need to know.
Water first, then add thinset or grout. See? You might already know that.
Good luck.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #6

Retiling half the wall

Thanks renovator

Regarding my knowledge of tiling, I did just complete my first tile job in one of my rooms in the basement. So i'm a little familiar. Thanks again renovator probably start this weekend..this will be slow project. Stand by i will post pictures. (can i load pictures?) I belong to several jeep forums and i know you have to have a minumum amount of post before loading pics....

Thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #7

Retiling half the wall

Redguard is a great product for waterproofing backerboard. Very easy to do. Here's a picture of a competitive product that does the same thing on my recent walk-in shower project...It is the blue goo on the walls.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #8

Retiling half the wall

Thanks for the tip on redguard.

So last night after dinner. I went into the bathroom and decided to pull one tile off. I noticed one tile that sits next to the tub slanted.. pulled it out and all i see is rotten drywall/sheetrock, pulled another no backerboard.

I"m just curious I've heard other people say they didn't use backerboard and just tiled over drywall..is this just a cheap and fast way to complete a bathroom? Wrong way to do it? or is this common?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #9

Retiling half the wall

You can tile over sheetrock, but not in wet areas such as tub surrounds. It is a poor practice and is now against code. The sheetrock will inevitably break down over time.

I think you know what needs to be done.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #10

Retiling half the wall

Yep pulling it all out...anybody in northern VA that wants to help HHAHAH . Just kidding this should be fun. I"ll post pics up of my progress. But i'm doing the basic white tiles, wife wont' let me redo the whole bathroom. She wants cheapo, since we just spent a boat load on furnishing the house.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Licensed Contractor

Retiling half the wall

Just as well... Good luck and have fun.

Advertisement