Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #1

Share |

Requesting help with Flower Box Repair

Hello Everyone. I hope I am posting this question in the appropriate forum. I am new to this forum and just starting to learn about all things related to home repair(I am a real beginner). I have a question in regards to reapairing some flower boxes. I have several flower boxes attached to the top of my deck posts. These boxes have started to split at the seams. My plan is to remove all the dirt and plant material from the boxes clamp the two sides that are separated so that they are closer together and then use a finishing nailer to re nail them tight. My problem is I can not find a clamp to clamp the wood together(I am a one man show so I don't really have anyone to just squeeze the separating parts together while I nail them). I have tried clamps such as the ones in the pics I have included but they can not seem to clamp at the angle I need. So, Basically I have 2 questions:

1.) Can anyone tell me what type of clamp I can use to squeeze these separating parts together so I can nail them back together?

2.) Does this sound like the best way to do this repair?

I have included pictures of both the flower boxes and the clamps I attempted to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Requesting help with Flower Box Repair-img_0465.jpg   Requesting help with Flower Box Repair-img_0466.jpg   Requesting help with Flower Box Repair-img_0467.jpg   Requesting help with Flower Box Repair-img_0468.jpg  

Future Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #2

It looks like it's time to just chuck 'em and rebuild, you're a woodworker right? They sides look warped, so even if you clamp 'em together and biscuit/glue/nail, they're going to look like hell.

Get some teak, cedar, cypress, press. treat., azek (man-made)...something that weathers well...if it's wood, treat it every year...I wouldn't waste any time with the current ones.

I would definitely biscuit and glue (exterior glue) the new ones. Good luck.

J

They make much larger clamps, similar to the one on the right in your picture, just check out h/d or lowes.

I like the bessey k-body clamps myself, but it wouldn't make sense to purchase for just this project.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HSO6WC/...SIN=B001HSO6WC

Last edited by Jay123; 08-20-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
General Contractor

I agree with Jay, throw them away and build new ones. I would use dovetails instead of biscuits. Its a much stronger joint.
Attached Thumbnails
Requesting help with Flower Box Repair-plant-box.jpg  
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #4

Yeah, if you have the tooling for dovetails, go to it.
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #5

It appears to me that this is frost damage! If the OP lives in an area that freezes in the winter, this is exactly what happens, as the frozen earth expands, forcing the joints apart!
There is no effective way of keeping the joints closed, if freezing occurs.
I would suggest that new boxes would be constructed in such a manner that they can be removed for the winter and the earth removed. Come spring, refill them with fresh earth.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #6

Hello Everyone and thank you all for the responses. Jay 123 and ARI001....I'm afraid I chose a misleading screename calling myself Woodywoodworker because I am not a wood worker at all and I can see how this could be misleading. Asking me to rebuild that box is like asking me to split the atom....lol....When I said I was a real beginner I meant a REAL beginner....lol....Thanks for your response. Wilde I do live in the midwest and agree with you that that is exactly the 'cause of the split. Ok guys....I'm gonna have a go at rebuilding the boxes. I am sure there will be many more posts from me asking some real basic questions. I'll see if I can change my screename to something that denotes my skill level a little better. Thanks again for your help and replies.

Future Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote