Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 85

Req: Help with sturdy A/V floating shelf

I appreciate all the help I've recieved from this site so far and I'm back with another question

I want to build a floating shelf like this one to support a HEAVY reciever, center speaker, and DVR (just like in the picture). I estimate the total weight to be around 50lbs. Can anyone provide a plan or suggestions on materials and how to attach this to the wall? (I bought a couple books on shelves, but nothing covers this type of build)..... THANKS

Last edited by RickDel; 05-26-2009 at 09:18 PM.
RickDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, I can. I recently built an installed one for a church's youth center. It holds a big screen TV (54") and a player in a shelf beneath.

I'll try to find the drawings.

BTW, I could not see your photo.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #3

GREAT... Not sure why you couldn't see the pic, but here's a LINK
Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Here's the shelf.

If it interests you, I can email much larger drawings than the forum allows. And there are also a lot of important construction details to be disclosed to make it work right.
Attached Thumbnails
Req:  Help with sturdy A/V floating shelf-av-1.jpg   Req:  Help with sturdy A/V floating shelf-av-2.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #5

Willie T, Thanks!! I’m not sure if my picture worked, but I want something square. Do you think I could use this design without the angled top? Also, what’s the purpose of the French Cleat on top?

Again… I really appreciate your help. My email is **** and I’d like to see the other drawling if it’s not to much trouble…

Last edited by RickDel; 05-27-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel View Post
Willie T, Thanks!! I’m not sure if my picture worked, but I want something square. Do you think I could use this design without the angled top? Also, what’s the purpose of the French Cleat on top?

Again… I really appreciate your help. My email is EDITED OUT BY WILLIE T I’d like to see the other drawling if it’s not to much trouble…
The top is at an angle because I mounted the shelf so that the top of the TV screen would be 2" down from the 12' ceiling. This 9 degree angle worked out best for viewing at that height.

The french cleat on top mates to one installed on the bottom of the TV. Makes it easy to lift on and off for service.

BTW. All the french cleats are locked in place (together) by a single small screw each.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-26-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #7

Got it.... Thanks

Last thing.... What type wood did you use and how is it mounted to the wall? I assume I could use a thinker stock on the back (the green board in your picture) and use some lag bolts into a couple studs.

What do you think?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Old School

Quote:
Got it.... Thanks

Last thing.... What type wood did you use and how is it mounted to the wall? I assume I could use a thinker stock on the back (the green board in your picture) and use some lag bolts into a couple studs.

What do you think?
The back (green board) does nothing. It's eyewash so you don't see the wall behind.

The mating French cleat is all that is attached to the wall. This shelf can be lifted off with the removal of but one small screw. Justike the TV. Yes, the Frenchie is VERY solidly lagged to the wall.

I used 5/8" cabinet grade plywood for all of this.

See the second email I sent you for the barebones structure.

Do NOT try to hang something like this from the back board. It will flex and sag.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-26-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #9

cool.... funny that you suggested French Cleat for the mirror project I'm also working on. Where do you purchase these from (I see them online, but didn't know if there's someplace in particular you use).
Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
Old School

You take a piece of lumber, set your table saw on 45, and rip it down the center. Voila! A French cleat set.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #11

got it... I'll stop bothering you now
Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
Old School

Quote:
got it... I'll stop bothering you now
No bother at all.

PS. Go erase your email. Never good to have that on an open forum. Just use the edit button, and backspace it out. Emails get sent by PM, preferably.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-26-2009 at 11:20 PM.