Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Repositioning a door latch / striker plate

Hello, we moved into a home where the builder might not have had a straight eye... A lot of the doors do not latch in place because the position of the striker plate is too high/low.

Obviously the easy way would be to drill a new hole and position the plate accordingly. The problem is the correct position of the plate would end up having a screw in the middle of the current hole.

I was wondering, would wood filler be enough to hold it in place? Or do I need to chisel out a long strip, put in a strip of wood and then start as if I was doing it from scratch?

Or is there a better way?

The red on the image is where the new screws have to go if the above was not described correctly
Attached Images

rschmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rschmitty For This Useful Post:
agradziel (07-31-2011)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nice PIC! Seems like alot of settling (opinions from the carpenters?) Check your exact strike position with some lipstick.

- I would check the door hinges first to see if it needs to be rehung/adjusted.
- I have used two part wood epoxy to built up this sort of thing - using poplar dowels to give some structure as needed.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

This isn't an uncommon problem. Most of the time the people at the factory rout the strike recesses in the wrong place. The installer then installs the strike in the factory recess which is mis-aligned. Wood filler won't hold the screw well enough. Recut the recess for the strike in the correct location, then use a screw that will reach into the stud behind the jamb. Usually a 2" or 2-1/2" #8 screw will do it. Use filler where the old recess can't be hidden. If you spray some teflon lube on the back of the strike plate and the screw, before you install them, you can take them back off after the filler hardens so you can sand it smooth. That way you won't lose your proper location.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Glue and toothpicks normally will work. However, I really feel something else is going on here. Are most of the doors this far off? As Leah suggests above, checking hinges, plumbness, square opening?
I am assumming these are pre-hung doors, and it appears to me that the hinge side has slipped down or the house has shifted.( at least with this door in the pic) When the door is closed, is the gap (the reveal) around the door (top & sides) all the same? Do the doors self open or close when not latched? Re-aligment of the door itself maybe a better solution, it appears the molding either has been taken off, or never installed. Now would be the time to hang the door properly.

Last edited by Mop in Hand; 02-26-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Btw, hanging a door improperly isn't all that uncommon either.
Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
J Calvin Construction

Rewards Points: 150

i keep toothpicks and golf tees in the toolbox for that very problem. little glue, tap in lightly with a hammer, cut it off, good as new.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies

The picture I just took off the internet and MSPainted it to show where they needed to be. Sorry if that caused confusion

I guess I exaggerated... there are only 3 doors that are this way, home built in 2002 and we are not the original owners so I'm not sure how the doors were made

If I open the door and put a level on the side and on the top, they look level. The door stays shut (until the dog pushes it open). The hinges look OK, flush on the door and on the frame, but not sure what exactly I'm looking for. I dont have a proper square, but using a hard cover book the frame seems square

So for the toothpick/golf tee/dowel and glue solution, just break those up and put in the hole with the glue and let sit? Thats pretty simple and clever hehe thx
Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

No, you slobber glue on the full peices. Then you tap then in solidly with a small hammer. Let it dry, then cut the "T" or whatever you used flush with the surface.

But you drive it in whole to be sure you got it well packed in there.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #9

ah lol, good thing I came back here to check just incase... that would have been a disaster

thank you
Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #10

You would need to plug the latch hole with a piece of solid wood or a plug of plywood. The toothpick/golf tee scenario is for enlarged screw holes.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote