Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing "wall sole plate" on a corner.

Hello,

This is a door that has rotted out on a 2 story house in texas that is 5 years old.

I am trying to figure out how I will replace the "wall sole plate" (that is what I was told it was called so I have went with it) on the bottom left corner of the wall/door. Due to the left side being a corner with no place to support the house while I replace the bottom sole plate thing, am I going to have to make a completely new wall to support the Joists of while I replace the corner?

I have done some moderate DIY stuff but nothing that is this difficult (or it seems difficult)

Any advice is welcome!

This is my backdoor as it sits right now.

Left side

Right side

Left side with my finger through the wall:

Last edited by CJNut; 12-21-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Tried to make it a bit more clear.
CJNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Do you know what's bearing on it, if anything?
Why did it rot out in 5 years?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #3

5 years to do all that? Whoa, you got water issues. Best fix them before you replace that or you'll be back at this same spot in another five years.

You were right with sole plate, though in this application it can be considered a sill and/or a sole plate because it is the plate that rests directly upon the foundation.

To do it right, a temporary structural wall is in your future...but again, remedy you water infiltration source first or it all be a big waste of time and $$$...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AGWhitehouse For This Useful Post:
CJNut (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

The water is falling from the second story, hitting the small concrete patio thing and splashing up the siding. So gutters and hopefully a full patio w/roof will solve the water issue.

I am not 100% sure this is a load bearing corner but I imagine it is because it is one of the outside walls. To me it looks like if that corner were to be taken out/not supported the house would be unstable.

Can I replace one side of the door frame/studs at a time using some sort of support on one side of the door frame?

Thanks,
C
Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJNut View Post
Can I replace one side of the door frame/studs at a time using some sort of support on one side of the door frame?
More trouble than it's worth in my mind...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #6

Seems to me that sill/sole plate should have been treated wood. "Was" it?
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #7

Definitely replaced the entire door. That door sill had a wood substrate underneath it. As the water splashed under the sill, it rotted out the substrate. Newer better quality doors will have a composite sill, that will help out. Be sure caulk under the new door well. Not just a line or two.
pkrapp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzer View Post
Seems to me that sill/sole plate should have been treated wood. "Was" it?
I am no expert so I can not say for sure it is or is not treated wood. We are going to have an inspector take a look and let us know.

Can treated wood rot like that in 5 years?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #9

Since it's sitting on a slab so the bottom plate needs to be pressure treated wood.
There's soomthing really wrong with that whole threashold. It's not the one that came with that door. it's way to narrow. There was no suppot on the outside wall to support it.
I'd order a new door with vinyl jambs, adjustable sill, vinyl brick moulding, and a fiberglass door. Cost more but never will rot out again. The door also should have been set in a sill pan to stop water from getting inside the house.http://www.jamsill.com/
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #10

Putting the cause and remediation issues aside as you've not asked about those and aware that you need to address them...

Ideally you should build a support wall inside that supports the joists that bear on that corner and then rebuild the exterior wall. You're not going to be able to pull out one stud at a time and swap in new studs and get the structural integrity that is required, at least in my mind. Perhaps someone here has done it can can tell you how.

Honestly, it is worth your time to bring in a structural engineer for a half hour of their time and advice. They will tell you exactly how much weight is bearing on that wall, what your temporary support needs to be and where, and how to best rebuild the wall to meet the load requirements. It would be money well spent.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #11

There is no need to remove any of the studs. The bottom plate just needs the nails cut out that are holding it in place that were toe nailed into the studs.
There is no need for an engineer and no inspector is going to care about old work and there's nothing he can do about it if he did come out.
A temperary wall will hold it up just fine if set up 2 ft. back for room to work. I've done dozens of these in a lot older houses then yours.
Where are you located?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #12

You've done a dozen, he has not. He should consult an engineer if he is going to do the work himself and does not know what the load bearing requirements are for a temporary support.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #13

Thank you all for the information and suggestions provided!

We will be getting gutters in a few weeks so this problem will not come up again.

I am also looking into the door/jambs you mentioned joecaption.
We are located in Houston TX.

As far as structural engineer....I have a few contractor friends and an architectural friend who I will consult with and offer a helping hand.

The main problem is replacing the left side of the door (looking at the door from the inside of the house), the left side of the door is a corner that has a whole bunch of studs supporting the house. If I build a temp wall and run it parallel to the existing corner wall (and off a few inches so I can work on it) this should offer enough support. What do you all think?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
Retired carpenter

If you fix that which was causing the problem (with gutters, etc.), and you know that corner is going to be dry from now on, leave the plate as it is and just refinish the wall.

It will hold as is forever and it is not worth fixing it.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote