Replacing Studs Damaged By Termites...advice Please.. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!

Rewards Points: 250

Replacing studs damaged by termites...advice please..

I need some advice folks:

Background: gutting laundry room and attached 1/2 bathroom on the ground level of our split level home outside of Philadelphia, PA. We knew there would be some mold around the window because we tried to remove the wall paper to paint after we moved in. Once inside the walls we found termite damage. We already knew we had minor damage so we had treatment by Terminex May '07. So, now I need to fix the damage and move along with my project.

Damage: In the pictures below are the studs that are damaged. The blue is the worst damage...red is minor to medium damage.

Question 1: I am thinking I can put in temporary studs between the damage to brace the ceiling...I can then remove the damaged studs and window...install the new studs and remove the temps. Ok?

Question 2: For the door...the stud isn't too bad...Can I leave this stud and not have to remove the whole door frame??? Damage was not bad. I would say very mild.

Question 3: Where the arrows are on the left side are holes that go to the outside...I will seal with concrete...sound good?

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by gone_fishing; 01-19-2008 at 05:42 PM.
gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Replacing studs damaged by termites...advice please..

Do the ceiling joists rest on the wall you want to repair? Are there sole plates resting over the window header? If there are, you need to build a temporary wall.
If the stud next to the door has minor damage, you can leave it. Minor damage would mean the stud depth is not eaten more then 1/4 through the stud.
Holes through the concrete would be best repaired with hydraulic cement.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote