Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing some of deck

The house I purchased had some issues with the deck. I am looking to fix it up and replace the deck boards on top. The builder used wood that was 3/4" thick and I am having a hard time finding deck boards that are that thick because the guy tucked them in under the deck door sill to support it. I am trying to find the same thickness boards to keep the walking part of the door strong and not flex.

Also the rim joist of my deck which were 2x10's are completely rotted out. I plan on buying some new pieces and replacing them but I don't know what to use to secure them onto the structural framing. Any ideas?

johnsorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Replacing some of deck

3/4" exterior decking thickness sound dangerously wimpy to me. That is the thickness of most interior floors I have had placed over the years. Only place I have used exterior material so thin was on sailboat decks and it was dense teak.

If you must match it, plane to thickness from 1" would be my suggestion. A little planer for this one time purpose should not set you back more than a $500 I am guessing. Actually I took a quick look. It is not what I had but will do the job. Or find a woodshop near that will plane the boards you need for you.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...FQsV7AodgxwAwQ

Last edited by user1007; 08-02-2013 at 06:03 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Replacing some of deck

Here's a photo of the rim joist rotted out. I don't know what to use for hardware be it screws or nails to secure the new piece up.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing some of deck-image-1059695858.jpg  
Old 08-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

Replacing some of deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
3/4" decking thickness sound dangerously wimpy to me.

If you must match it, plane to thickness from 1" would be my suggestion. A little planer for this one time purpose should not set you back more than a $500 I am guessing. Actually I took a quick look. It is not what I had but will do the job. Or find a woodshop near that will plane the boards you need for you.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...FQsV7AodgxwAwQ
I don't have to use 3/4" thick deck boards but I don't know what to use to put under my deck door sill to support it.

They're tucked under a little bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing some of deck-image-544199704.jpg  

Last edited by johnsorious; 08-02-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Mod

Replacing some of deck

That's one scary picture. What's holding up that deck? What's that a 5' cantilever?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (08-02-2013), user1007 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Replacing some of deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
That's one scary picture. What's holding up that deck? What's that a 5' cantilever?

Prayers and angel wings in place. It is beyond scary. I may have missed it but I see no steel that might help it hang in mid air like that. Maybe it is in place inside the structure somehow. But still, cantilievered out like that is very scary.

Unless I am missing something, I think the thickness of the deck boards is the least of your problems OP.

Failing porch landings with two many people on them make the news hear now and then. Even the worst of them have neglected post structure holding up corners.

Last edited by user1007; 08-02-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

Replacing some of deck

[QUOTE=kwikfishron;1224285]That's one scary picture. What's holding up that deck? What's that a 5' cantilever?QUOTE]

the wrought iron corners suspended from the roof???????

what is the size of the joists for the balcony and are they cantilevered, if so how far back from the exterior wall do they run (backspan)? was is the length of the balcony cantilever?

is the upper floor (interior floor level with balcony) cantilevered over the 1st floor exterior walls? if so how much?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #8

Replacing some of deck

It is framed with 2x10's. all I know about the deck is that a lot of the houses in my neighborhood that are the same style as mine have the decks built the same way. What would I need to secure a new rim joist on it? What type of nails or screws? The guy who built the house said to use 4" spikes to secure the new rim joists but I can't find any at Home Depot.

Any recommendations for the flooring to cover up that gap?

I will plan to have some support posts installed to support the deck.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Replacing some of deck

We are trying to help you and not bash you.

A cantilievered deck like that has to be anchored to something structural or it would have fallen down already. The matching structure we cannot see is hopefully tied to at least some floor joists.

You did experience a teeter totter at one point? Right now the fat kid or some anchor bolts are on the inside of your house somewhere. It doesn't matter if all other decks in the hood were built the same way. Cantelievering so much weight cannot end well.

GBrackins jokes but that faux iron work may be holding this up.

Let me know where you are and I will have my fastener supplier send you anything you cannot find at Home Desperate. This situation of yours is not about finding 4" spikes, whatever that means.

Last edited by user1007; 08-02-2013 at 07:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Chris Nolan (08-07-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #10

Replacing some of deck

You can get 3/4" pressure treated boards at the big box stores. It shouldn't be that hard to find them.

As to the rim joist, you might find once you take it off that there is more rot behind it. You might consider using joist hangers as opposed to "spikes."

The builders on this forum know more than the guy at HD.

You may not want to get them involved and I can understand why but your building department might be able to give you some advice.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AandPDan For This Useful Post:
Chris Nolan (08-07-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #11

Replacing some of deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan
You can get 3/4" pressure treated boards at the big box stores. It shouldn't be that hard to find them.

As to the rim joist, you might find once you take it off that there is more rot behind it. You might consider using joist hangers as opposed to "spikes."

The builders on this forum know more than the guy at HD.

You may not want to get them involved and I can understand why but your building department might be able to give you some advice.
Ill get my buddy who works construction to take a look at the structural support of the deck.

If I go with thicker deck boards, say like 2x6 pressure treated how to I keep the deck door sill supported since it looks like the current deck boards go under it a little bit?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Replacing some of deck

That is not a Rim joist, that is garbage. Your only choice is to place 2x4's across the doorway, tear that rotted timber out of there, and replace it with proper framing.

That will also mean bracing that patio roof from the ground with 6x6 timbers, or with scaffolding, with 2" piping braced to the scaffold to hold the roof in place, while you repair all that decking material.

Time to get plans drawn up and speak to the city permit office.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Replacing some of deck

That entire door threshold need to be taken out for sure.

The pictures still frighten me. How this structure got building department approved, unless it is sistered and bolted lavishly to floor joists somewhere inside? And still with that much weight hanging on exposed and obviously rotting exterior timber and no steel? Very scary to me.

Where are you by the way? You might want to update your basic geographic information in your profile.

I bid a renovation in Belize once when I still had property there. It looked something like what you show. I chalked up things like you are showing to Third World thinking, no building codes, and bad structural design. I guess I understand it happening there. Please tell me you are in Belize or someplace like it and not in the US?

Last edited by user1007; 08-03-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Replacing some of deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsorious View Post
If I go with thicker deck boards, say like 2x6 pressure treated how to I keep the deck door sill supported since it looks like the current deck boards go under it a little bit?
Please listen to us. The last thing you want to do is add the weight difference between 3/4" and 2" thick timber at that this point. You have unsupported and heavy structure hanging in mid-air bubba.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Mod

Replacing some of deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsorious View Post
The builder used wood that was 3/4" thick and I am having a hard time finding deck boards that are that thick
Look into Ipe or other hardwood decking. You can span 24" with 3/4" Ipe. If you have a Menards in your area they may have Ipe decking (mine does) otherwise you'll need to go to a good old fashion lumber yard.