Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
cdm

Rewards Points: 25

Replacing a sliding glass door question

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of re-doing my kitchen and one of the projects that I am doing is replacing the exisiting sliding glass door. The old door is leaking and there is some damage to the subfloor. My question is on the exterior of the home the vinyl siding goes right up until the J-channel and the J-channel is against the old sliding glass window. The new replacment window that I bought ( A Pella 6' wide from Lowes). Has a large nailing flange that is around it. My question is can I cut this nailing flange down to install this new door or do I need to pull my siding (not what I want to do). Thanks for the help

CDM

cdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of re-doing my kitchen and one of the projects that I am doing is replacing the exisiting sliding glass door. The old door is leaking and there is some damage to the subfloor. My question is on the exterior of the home the vinyl siding goes right up until the J-channel and the J-channel is against the old sliding glass window. The new replacment window that I bought ( A Pella 6' wide from Lowes). Has a large nailing flange that is around it. My question is can I cut this nailing flange down to install this new door or do I need to pull my siding (not what I want to do). Thanks for the help

CDM
You need to remove the siding for 2 reasons. To get the door in place and secured properly and to install the membrane flashing over the flanges.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (04-07-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
cdm

Ron

Thanks for the feedback. I got a quote from a Lowe's installer ($600 by the way) and he said they just cut the flange off and seal it up with caulk. So I assume you disagree with his technique. I just didn't want to spend $600 for someone to do half a days work (according to him). I'll post pictures tonight.

Chris
Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 500

I wouldn't want to pay someone $600 to do it wrong!!!!!

Ron's correct.
You HAVE to remove and reinstall the siding.
Most of the time the siding has to be recut to fit properly.... especially the piece going over the top of the new door.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,184

Quote:
Ron

Thanks for the feedback. I got a quote from a Lowe's installer ($600 by the way) and he said they just cut the flange off and seal it up with caulk. So I assume you disagree with his technique. I just didn't want to spend $600 for someone to do half a days work (according to him). I'll post pictures tonight.

Chris
This is a perfect example of why to “Never Use Box Store Contractors.”

"if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it comes to building something together, their phone won't be answered NOR will they help "
itsreallyconc
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Ron

Chris
Spending 10 minutes doing research on the manufacturers website would have told you that advice was imbecilic.
The door comes with instructions. What do they say?
Ron
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
cdm

I have another contractor coming out today to give me another quote. The instructions don't say cut the flange off. I didn't think what he said was correct that is why I was asking on here. Hopefully this other guy won't suggest the same thing. Problem I am having is finding someone to come out and do such a small job.

Chris
Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,124

Quote:
I have another contractor coming out today to give me another quote. The instructions don't say cut the flange off. I didn't think what he said was correct that is why I was asking on here. Hopefully this other guy won't suggest the same thing. Problem I am having is finding someone to come out and do such a small job.

Chris
Installing a replacement slider is not such a small job and $600 to do it right is a fair price. It could be a lot more if there are other issues: the damage to the subfloor and any other rot issues should be repaired.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
cdm

Well then do you think I would be able to remove the J chanel, bend the siding back install the new door then re-install the j chanel?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Well then do you think I would be able to remove the J chanel, bend the siding back install the new door then re-install the j chanel?
I don't think siding is that flexible, even in the Summer. In cooler weather it will crimp. In cold weather it will crack.
I had a similar issue with a sided house with 2 bad windows 6 feet apart. I had to remove almost 25% of the siding on the house to replace the windows and install them properly. It took twice as long to deal with the siding then it did the 2 windows.
Ron
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
cdm

Well this is probably a stupid question but do they make replacement sliding glass doors that do not have a nailing flange that still provide a good water tight seal, or would you recomment going with a door that has the flange?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Well this is probably a stupid question but do they make replacement sliding glass doors that do not have a nailing flange that still provide a good water tight seal, or would you recomment going with a door that has the flange?
You cannot get a watertight seal without removing the siding. I don't care how many idiot contractors come to your house and tell you differently.
Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (04-08-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
cdm

Ron

Thanks for the help. I agree that removing the siding is def. the way to go.

Chris
Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,004

Quote:
Yes, just did the replacement of a slider. Home depot has one that requires you to put together the frame it's made by Pella but the name is something else don't have it in front of me right now It will fit right into the opening. Now make sure you have a good power saw to cut the old one out and leave the old nailing flange in place. Get some foam and good silicon follow the instructions that come with the door. Most of the sealing surface is under the door anyway. Only use the foam sparingly if needed rely on the silicon and the door comes with long screws that go into the sides 8 each side and top.

You can cut the nail strip off and sand it flush.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing a sliding glass door question-isliding-door-010-small-.jpg  
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Yes, just did the replacement of a slider. Home depot has one that requires you to put together the frame it's made by Pella but the name is something else don't have it in front of me right now It will fit right into the opening. Now make sure you have a good power saw to cut the old one out and leave the old nailing flange in place. Get some foam and good silicon follow the instructions that come with the door. Most of the sealing surface is under the door anyway. Only use the foam sparingly if needed rely on the silicon and the door comes with long screws that go into the sides 8 each side and top.
You can cut the nail strip off and sand it flush.
Cdm, this is exactly the type of installation you do not want to do.
It’s done all the time by box store and other contractors that just want to get that
slider/window on the hole as easy and fast as possible.

The only one that benefits from this type of installation is the installer.