DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing sill plate on slab buit garage

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am trying to use the internet to cut my learning curve down.

About ten years ago I replaced the front of our double garage. At that time I used a jack and lifted one side and then the other of a beam. I put a beam to stretch across the rafter/joists and carry the load and put 4 x 4's under the beam (16') (I left 3' on each side not lifted as there were walls). I put in a new header for the double garage door and new sill plates. Now I need to do the opposite side.

The garage was built on a slab. I was thinking of adding a course of concrete block to put the sill plate on. I'm not sure it would buy me much more time than treated lumber would. This garage is about 35 years old and was built before treated lumber was common.

I came to this forum to ask this question: Would most people just replace the sill plate and call it a day? Or would you go to the effort of adding concrete block? That all being said: Would you use any felt paper under the sill plate to put a barrier between the wood and the concrete?

Thank you for your help.

Kathryn Cecelia "KaCe"

See less See more
#2 ·
Adding a row of blocks ? That would depend on the grade and drainage --

Why is the sill getting wet? Have you got rot in the bottom of the studs?

If the slab is low to the ground or the slab is pitched so the sill gets wet--then seriously consider the blocks---be sure to add plenty of anchor bolts--then your treated sill--a foam sill sealer should be used between the block or slab and the wood sill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.