Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing Section of Sole Plate

Looking for some advice on framing....

I'm doing a bathroom renovation due to some dry rot. Because of some water leaks at the shower door, I had to remove a section of the 2 x4 sole plate on an interior wall. The bathroom is 10' by 5' and the wall in question has a door. This is a second floor bathroom resting on a subfloor of OSB, 2x10 joists, 16" oc.

I cut out a 16" section of sole plate and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and replace the entire 8' section of plate rather than scab in a 16" section. I'll be tiling the floor and the shower enclosure, and I'm concerned about structural strength of the wall. There is a lateral brace on this wall.

To remove the entire 8' length of sole plate on this wall, I would use a Sawzall to cut the nails that hold the wall studs to the plate. Then I would slide in an 8' section of 2 x 4 plate and toenail the wall studs to the plate. The plate would be nailed to the subfloor at each joist.

The sole plate has one electrical wire and a 2" abs vent. I am replacing the abs vent as well due to defective abs piping, so I would be drilling a new hole in the 2x4 plate, thus removing most of the wood from the plate in that section. By drilling for the 2" abs vent, there wouldn't leave much of the wood for structural integrity anyway. I can deal with the electrical as well so that wouldn't be a concern.

Of course the easiest thing to do is just the 16" section and be done with it. But, I'm not sure if the mid-wall joints would be the best decision.

Is it acceptable to just scab in a short section of sole plate? Any nailing advice if I do?

Any residential framers out there with some advice?
Thanks.
RM575
RM575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Some of us have been there, done that: :D

Rotted sole plate in bathroom

How to repair rotted joists and studs?
(I repaired my wall two weeks ago with firemanter's method and it worked out great - however, I actually did replace the entire soleplate, not just a portion of it - but I still had to do it in pieces)
Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #3

Hi Snav,
Thanks for the quick reply. Your situation looks a little more severe than mine. I can appreciate your dilemma. I'm replacing a section of the rotten OSB with plywood under the sole plate that was rotten, and I'm going to stagger the joint of the ply with the joint of the sole plate so I don't have one joint directly over the other. I think I'll replace a section of the sole plate rather than the entire sole plate.

RM575
RM575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Military Mom of 4

You'll have to attach screw-on mend plates to the joint to ensure it forms a solid, flush joint - if it's a load bearing wall you might have to come from underneath with another screw-on mend plate or even a length of wood to ensure it doesn't sag or fail otherwise.

Good luck on your job!